10.2.1 Four-Year Bachelor of Arts Degree Programs
A. General Academic Requirements
Candidates for Concordia University of Edmonton’s four-year Bachelor of Arts programs:
- Must complete a total of 120 credits.
- Must complete 6 credits from each of
- courses in the Faculty of Science
- courses offered by the departments of Social Science or Psychology (CNST, ECO, HIS, INDG, POEC, PSCI, PSY, SOC)
- courses offered by the departments of Fine Arts, Literature and Languages, or Religious Studies and Philosophy (ARAB, ARTH, CHIN, CLAS, CLIT, CREE, DRA, ENG, FR, GERM, GRK, HEBR, LAT, MUS, MUP, MUPB, MUPE, MUPH, MUPK, MUPP, MUPS, MUPV, MUPW, MUED264 (Handbells and Handchimes for Children and Youth), PHIL, POPC, REL, SPA, WRI).
- Must complete 36-60 credits in a major, or complete a General Studies major.
- Except for the General Studies major, must complete at least 18 credits in a minor, of which 6 credits must be at the senior-level; alternatively, a second major is permissible. The minors permitted for each major are specified in section 10.2.1.C.
- May take no more than 48 credits of junior-level courses for credit toward a degree.
- May include core course requirements in the major and minor. However, the same course may not be counted toward both the major and minor requirements.
- Must complete 60 of the 120 credits required to graduate at Concordia University of Edmonton. Moreover, at least 18 credits of the last 30 credits must be completed at Concordia University of Edmonton (Residency Requirement, section B).
- Must take a minimum of 3 credits in each of 5 different disciplines.
- May take no more than 72 credits in any one discipline; however, only 42 credits are permitted in any discipline of a concentration of the General Studies major.
- Must take a minimum of 102 credits in Arts and Science courses, of which a minimum of 66 credits must be Arts.
- For continuation in the four-year English, Music, Religious Studies, and Sociology degree program, must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 or higher, and a minimum GPA of 2.3 in the major. For the four-year General Studies degree program, must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.0. Students in the applied emphasis program in Psychology should consult the program and GPA requirements in section C, item 5.
Students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirements to continue in the four-year BA should consult with a Registration Advisor regarding the three-year BA degree program.
- For graduation, must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 in the 120 credits applicable to the degree, and a minimum GPA of 2.3 in the courses in the major. For further information, see Graduation Requirements, section 9.7.1.
Candidates who do not meet the minimum GPA requirements for the four-year BA should consult a Registration Advisor regarding the three-year BA degree.
- Must present credit in a 30-level Language Other than English or one of
- ARAB 102 (Arabic Language for Beginners II),
- CHIN 102 (Beginners' Chinese II),
- CREE 102 (Beginners' Cree II),
- FR 102 (Beginners' French II),
- GERM102 (Beginners' German II),
- GRK 102 (Introductory Classical Greek II),
- HEBR102 (Biblical Hebrew II),
- LAT 102 (Introductory Latin II),
- SPA 102 (Beginners' Spanish II), or
- any senior level course in ARAB, CHIN, CREE, FR, GERM, GRK, HEBR, LAT, or SPA.
B. Residency Requirement
Candidates for Concordia University of Edmonton’s four-year Bachelor of Arts degree must complete the specified credits at Concordia University of Edmonton (section A.7). Students who plan to take courses at other institutions must first follow the procedures for Visiting Student Permission, section 4.4.3.A.