Quick links


What is a bursary?

A bursary is financial assistance awarded on the basis of financial need. While students are expected to make plans for funding their education through primary sources such as personal and family savings, scholarships and awards, and employment earnings, etc., students experiencing financial difficulties while attending Concordia University of Edmonton may apply for a bursary to supplement their existing funds. The Concordia University of Edmonton bursary is meant to supplement, not replace, other financial assistance. For further information on other forms of financial assistance, such as government student loans, please speak with the financial aid advisor or visit the government’s website at www.studentaid.alberta.ca.

Who can apply?

To be eligible to apply:

  • Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program. Open studies, visiting students, certificate and diploma programs are not eligible.
  • Applicants must be registered full-time (minimum 60% of a full-course load).
  • Applicants must have achieved satisfactory academic standing on their most recent course work of full-time study at the time of application defined by their program of study (see Academic Calendar section 9.3.4). For undergraduate students, spring and summer courses are excluded.
  • Applicants must have not previously declared bankruptcy or defaulted on a student loan, including the Concordia University of Edmonton Emergency Loan.
  • Applicants may be domestic or international students.
  • Applicants must demonstrate financial need based on a modest standard of living.
  • International undergraduate students in their 1st year of post-secondary study in Canada are not eligible to apply to the Concordia Bursary program. International graduate students are not eligible to apply in their first semester of study.

How do I apply?

To apply for a bursary, applicants must complete the on-line application form by logging into Online Services for Students using their Web Sign-In. The application must be submitted by the deadline. In addition, all supporting documents must be submitted to the Student and Enrollment Services office HA 120 within 5 business days of the application deadline.

When is the deadline?

Fall Term: October 15th Winter Term: February 1st

Can I apply for a bursary more than once per year?

No. You may submit only one bursary application per academic year (e.g. Sept – April). We do not have a bursary program for spring and summer sessions.

What is the bursary award value?

Applicants who have demonstrated financial need but have not applied for government financial assistance may be eligible for a $500 bursary. Current recipients of government financial assistance, who have demonstrated financial need, may be eligible for varying amounts up to a maximum of $1500 per academic year. The lifetime maximum amount of bursary assistance is $6,000. Bursary funds are limited so when there are more applicants than available funds, applications will be ranked based on financial need.

What is a donor-funded bursary?

Donor-funded bursaries are awards that were created with special eligibility criteria. If you demonstrate financial need and you meet the eligibility criteria for a donor-funded bursary, you may receive donor-funded dollars instead of general institutional dollars.

I am an international student. Am I eligible to apply for a bursary?

Yes. Although international students are expected to have the funds necessary to cover tuition fees, living expenses and transportation before coming to Canada to study, there may be circumstances that arise creating financial need. A detailed explanation is expected in Section B or D of the application. International undergraduate students in their 1st year of post-secondary study in Canada are not eligible to apply to the Concordia Bursary program. International graduate students are not eligible to apply in their first semester of study.

Am I eligible for a bursary if I did not apply for a government student loan?

Yes. If you did not apply for government financial assistance, you may be using some other form of private debt to cover your expenses. However, submitting an application does not guarantee a bursary and when there are more eligible applicants than funds, applications are ranked based on financial need. If you would like to know more about interest free student loans, visit Student Aid Alberta or speak to the Financial Aid Advisor.

How will I be notified if I have received a bursary?

Once applications have been assessed and decisions made, all applicants will be notified through their Concordia University of Edmonton student email account.

How do I receive payment of a bursary?

Recipients will receive a credit on their student account. If your account has been paid in full, a refund cheque will be issued to you.

If my application was unsuccessful, can I appeal the decision?

No. To ensure the equitable distribution of awards, the Scholarship and Awards Committee (SAC) coordinates the conferring of financial awards. All award decisions made by the Committee are final; appeals are not accepted.

What should I do if I’ve been denied a bursary and still have financial difficulties?

We recognize that students can have chronic financial problems. Not all types of financial problems, however, are within Concordia University of Edmonton’s mandate to help. Concordia University of Edmonton is neither a lending agency nor a sponsorship agency. You are invited to discuss your situation with a Financial Aid Advisor.

Is a bursary taxable?

No. Under Federal legislation, the full amount of scholarships, fellowships and bursaries that are received by you as a student with respect to your enrollment in a program that entitles you to claim the education amount are not taxable. However, Concordia University of Edmonton will continue to issue a T4A at the appropriate time. Bursary recipients are required to provide their Social Insurance Number for this purpose.

What if I am eligible for a bursary and then withdraw from full-time studies?

If you are eligible to receive a bursary and withdraw from full-time studies you will not receive the disbursement.

What if I am registered in Open Studies?

Students registered in Open Studies are not eligible to apply for bursary assistance.

Where do I submit my supporting documents?

Applicants should submit clearly labeled supporting documents to the Student and Enrolment Services office HA 120 within 5 business days of the deadline.

What if I have technical difficulties while applying?

Should you experience technical difficulties while applying consider the following: try re-starting your computer, try a different web browser, or try using a computer at Concordia University of Edmonton to submit your application. You may also contact Concordia University of Edmonton’s IT Help Desk in the library for further assistance.

How do I know that I have successfully submitted?

When your application is successfully submitted, you will receive an application ID number for future reference. You may only submit one application per academic year. Once an application is submitted, you will not be able to go back and correct information so be thorough in your preparation and responses. To correct your application after submission, you will need to send an email to finaid@concordia.ab.ca with your application ID number and the details that need to be corrected.

More Questions?

Email finaid@concordia.ab.ca or call +1 780.479.9219 to connect with a financial aid advisor.