Imagine a collaborative space where leading scientific researchers meet with innovative and entrepreneurial minds. A place where ideas that will contribute to the long-term growth and diversification of the economy can be researched in state of the art laboratories and developed into economically viable businesses. This is the Allan Wachowich Centre for Science, Research, and Innovation (AWC).
The 30,000-square foot, $16.37 million facility officially opened in 2019 and is home to community connectors:
- the BMO Centre for Innovation and Applied Research, transitioning science into successful business ventures through industry incubators and business development services;
- the Centre for Applied Artificial Intelligence, which develops and implements artificial intelligence-based strategies for success;
- the Indigenous Knowledge and Research Centre, engaging Indigenous and non-Indigenous students with social and scientific research opportunities in a cultural space;
- our Public Health Simulation Lab (S-Lab), which enables students and faculty to bring their research to the community by providing real-life conditions in a simulated environment;
- state of the art research labs and scientific community spaces that support community outreach initiatives; and
- Coming Soon! The Institute for Psychological Research and Services, connecting research, learning, and practice with community mental health needs.