Tutoring Services and Tutor Registry
Our tutors give individualized instruction in a field of study that they are knowledgeable or accredited in. They work one-on-one with you to help you understand your course material.
We offer two ways for you to access tutoring help:
Tutoring service appointments can be booked through Online Services. More detailed instructions are available here.
All CUE students can access up to five FREE hours of tutoring each semester by booking an appointment in Online Services.
- Tutors are CUE undergraduate and graduate students who have successfully completed the courses they tutor
- Appointments are 30 minutes long, and up to two sessions can be booked back-to-back
- Appointments must be made and/or cancelled at least 24 hours in advance
- If you do not cancel with sufficient notice, you may be blocked from accessing the service
Tutors are available for the Fall and Winter terms. If there is no tutor in the service who can help with your course, or if you want a tutor during the Spring or Summer terms, please use the Tutor Registry or email firstname.lastname@example.org to see if there are other options.
You can contact any tutor from our registry to discuss meeting with them. Tutors charge an hourly rate based on their education and experience, and you are responsible for paying them. There is no limit to how often you can use the registry.
- Tutors on the registry are current CUE students and non-students with degrees in the subjects they tutor
- Session length and frequency can be negotiated with the tutor
- Tutors reserve the right to set their own booking and cancellation rules.
Note: CUE is not responsible for any disputes between tutors and tutees.
Looking for help with writing? Try the Writing Centre!
Things to keep in mind when hiring a tutor
Tutoring involves you investing your time and money, so treat hiring a tutor like you would hiring any other service provider:
- Ask questions about the tutor’s credentials, hourly rates, and where they can meet
- Be sure to bring all of your materials (notes, textbooks, laptop, pen and paper, etc.) to your session
- Tutors are there to help you understand your course material better; they are not going to complete assignments for you or simply give you answers
- For the safety and comfort of both you and your tutor, always meet in a public location (e.g., a library).
Interested in being a tutor?
Tutoring is an opportunity to apply what you have learned, develop stronger communication skills, and build work experience.
If you are a current CUE student and would like to be a tutor, please:
- Submit an application form
- Ask at least two instructors to submit academic reference forms
- Request a transcript and have it sent to the Learning Services Coordinator
- *optional* If you have tutored someone before, you can ask them to submit a reference form.
If you are not a current CUE student, and would like to be on the Tutor Registry, please contact the Learning Services Coordinator.
For more information, contact:
Learning Services Coordinator
Student Success Centre, Hole Academic Centre
Toll free: 1-866-479-5200 x854