Bridging the Gap Between Science and Community
Speak Science Simply is an outreach program that aims to provide individuals involved in science and research with the skills and confidence to communicate effectively and share their work with the general public. The program has been designed to be applicable across fields and, through eight engaging modules, provides the foundation and skills needed to connect with government, industry, and the community.
“The on-line format was ideal for this short, three lecture, course. The course was basically a single lecture introducing the students to the technique of integrating story telling into a presentation.”Speak Science Simply: Persuasive Science Storytelling Techniques student
“Good content, interesting and engaging videos driving down the point! Open conversations and discussions, the examples used were interactive and appropriate.”Speak Science Simply: Communicating Science for Policy student
The program is led by Dr. Cecilia Bukutu (Faculty of Science), and modules have been designed by a multidisciplinary team of experts.
- X-SSS 81: Persuasive Science Storytelling Techniques (6 hours)
- X-SSS 82: Science Interview Toolkit (6 hours)
- X-SSS 83: Navigating Scientific Controversy (6 hours)
- X-SSS 84: Writing Science Simply and Succinctly (6 hours)
- X-SSS 85: Communicating Data and Statistics to the Public (6 hours)
- X-SSS 86: Communicating Science for Policy (6 hours)
- X-SSS 87: Leveraging Social Media for Science (5 hours)
- X-SSS 88: Science to Business Communication (6 hours)
- Dr. Cecilia Bukutu, Faculty of Science (Public Health)
- Dr. Patrick Kamau, Faculty of Science (Chemistry)
- Dr. Emmanuel Mapfumo, Faculty of Science (Biological and Environmental Science)
- Dr. Brent Bradford, Faculty of Education (Physical Education and Wellness)
- Dr. Isha Katyal, Associate Vice-President Innovation (BMO Centre for Innovation and Applied Research)
- $149 +GST per participant per module
- 7 participants minimum
Students who successfully complete the course will be issued a Certificate of Completion.
To discuss a customized training schedule for groups of 7 or more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Concordia University of Edmonton strongly believes in the moral obligation of post-secondary institutions with science programs to ensure that research findings and other scientific information are appropriately and effectively disseminated to the public.
We acknowledge the support of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). Nous remercions le Conseil de recherches en sciences naturelles et en génie du Canada (CRSNG) de son soutien.
Research at Concordia University of Edmonton is also supported by the Research Support Fund, a Tri-Agency initiative that assists Canadian post-secondary institutions with costs associated with managing research funded by the federal research granting agencies.