Quick links

Frequently Asked Questions

When are my tuition and fees due?

Tuition and fees are due the first day of class in each term. Students beginning their studies in September will see their statement of account in their Online Services in early August. Please visit our website for payment options. Should you have any questions, please contact studentaccounts@concordia.ab.ca. If you are paying with student loans, please see the student loan questions below.

How much will university cost?

You can visit our website for the tuition and fee schedule or view your tuition statement in early August. The Estimating University Costs document may also help you figure out the cost of attending university. For more information, speak to a Financial Aid Advisor.

What types of financial aid are available at Concordia?

Concordia University of Edmonton offers a wide range of scholarships and bursaries to recognize and assist full-time undergraduate and graduate students (Open Studies and Certificate and Diploma programs are not eligible for scholarships and bursaries). Scholarships and bursaries help lower the cost of a university education for bachelor degrees, master degrees, and after degree programs.​

What is the difference between a scholarship and bursary?

Scholarships are awarded based on academic merit while bursaries are based on financial need.

How do I apply for scholarships and bursaries?

Full-time undergraduate students can apply for many scholarships and bursaries through the online awards application through online services. You can also visit the Financial Aid and Awards website for a complete scholarship listing and application deadlines.

What is the deadline to be considered for a University Entrance Scholarship?

April 1st is the deadline to apply for admission and be automatically considered for a University Entrance Scholarship for incoming high school students. For incoming Thunder athletes, the deadline is May 1st. Visit our Financial Aid and Awards website for full details.

What is a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)?

An RESP is a special account to help save for your child’s post-secondary education. Once the beneficiary is enrolled in a qualifying educational program, they can start receiving payments from the plan. To receive payments from the plan, students must show proof of enrolment usually by a certain deadline.

How do I get proof of my enrolment?

If you need proof of your enrolment (Verification of Enrolment) for things like RESP’s, insurance discounts, banking, etc., simply complete a request for a Verification of Enrolment through your Online Services. You can also visit the Enrolment Services Office in HA120, complete your online request at one of the computer kiosks and pick up the document immediately. If you have a separate form that requires a signature, you will need to drop it off in person at Enrolment Services and complete an online request form. Please note that students who require a verification of enrolment for student loan purposes must use the appropriate forms required by their lenders.

When and how do I apply for student loans and grants?

The federal and provincial territorial government student financial assistance programs are needs-based programs available to Canadian citizens, permanent residents and protected persons. Students apply for assistance through their province or territory of residence. The application for Alberta students is available on the Alberta Student Aid website. At this website, you can:

  • apply for student loans and grants
  • check the status of your application
  • learn more about scholarships and awards

For other provinces: www.canlearn.ca/eng/loans_grant/loans/provincial.shtml

It’s worthwhile to apply early so that your funding is in place before fee deadlines. You can apply for a student loan even before you have registered in classes. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the university. The funding application is released in June of each year and Concordia offers Free Hands-On-Sessions throughout the summer to assist students with the application.

How does my student loan pay my tuition?

When your student loan is approved, Concordia is required to confirm your registration. When we confirm registration, we will also make a request for a portion of your student loan to come to us to be applied directly to what you owe for tuition. The difference between what we request and what you are receiving in your disbursement is direct deposited to your bank account.

 Can I get help with my funding application?

Concordia’s Financial Aid Advisors are available Monday-Friday to assist students and their families one-on-one with a funding application. You can also attend one of our free student loan sessions scheduled throughout the summer.

What happens to my student loans if I drop below full-time enrolment?

We encourage you to speak with a financial aid advisor before dropping to part-time or withdrawing from your program so that you understand the consequences. Funding can be cancelled and payments received returned to the student loan lender.

Can International students apply for financial aid while studying at Concordia?

While students attending university on a study permit are not eligible for Canadian federal, provincial, and territorial financial assistance, Concordia University of Edmonton does offer some scholarships and bursaries for qualified international students.

 Does Concordia participate in the US Student Loan program?

Concordia University of Edmonton participates in the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program, in which U.S. citizens or eligible U.S. non-citizens may apply for federal loans directly from the U.S. Department of Education. The federal school code for Concordia University of Edmonton is G025938. There are a number of steps to take in order to have your funding in place for the start of the school year so start your planning as early as possible.

What is a Student Line of Credit?

A student line of credit is another method of borrowing money to cover the cost of your education. Most of the major banks provide flexible options for students. Although banks make borrowing money easy, you should remember that there can be negative consequences to borrowing money unwisely. We encourage you to speak to a Financial Aid Advisor to discuss your options for funding your education.

What is Advancing Futures Bursary?

If you had a Permanent Guardianship Order (PGO) between the time you were 13 and 18 years old or have been in the care or custody of Alberta Human Services for at least 546 days (18 months) between the time you were 13 and 24 years old, you may be eligible for the Advancing Futures bursary. Please contact Alberta Human Services for more information.

Can I use Loyalty Points to pay for my tuition?

Yes, thanks to HigherEdPoints.com, there’s a new way to pay for university. HigherEdPoints.com is the only program that transforms loyalty program points to help fund students’ education. Concordia University of Edmonton is set up to receive tuition dollars from your converted loyalty points so talk to your parents, relatives and friends and any other nice people you know about converting their loyalty points into your tuition dollars.