BMO Centre for Innovation and Applied Research
The mission of the BMO Centre for Innovation and Applied Research (BMO-CIAR) is to advance industry and community interests by building and strengthening connections between CUE and external partners turning knowledge and ideas into solutions.
The BMO-CIAR provides a woven approach for connecting multi-departmental research activities to external stakeholders including project collaboration, research commercialization, and business incubation and accelerator services.
The BMO-CIAR can be found in the state-of-the-art Allan Wachowich Centre for Science, Research, and Innovation.
CIAR 8 Pillars of Activity
- Industry and community relations: Enables meaningful connections between CUE and external partners.
- Research Commercialization: Mobilizes CUE research results into the market.
- Intellectual Property Protection: Facilitates the protection of viable intellectual property created by CUE’s research results.
- Entrepreneurship Development: Assists students, recent grads, youth and Indigenous entrepreneurs to identify and develop alternative career paths through one-on-one mentorship, workshops, seminars, and networking events.
- Business Incubator: Transitions entrepreneurial ideas into reality through business development support, infrastructure, and mentorship.
- Global Business Accelerator: Provides youth based local start-up businesses the resources to compete globally, and opportunities to collaborate with international businesses.
- Customized Training: Responds to industry and community needs by creating adaptable and innovative industry and corporate training.
- Community Outreach: Finds opportunities in the community to develop research collaborations.
The BMO-CIAR also assists in the “business process requirements” of research allowing faculty to focus on the research itself, thereby creating a team approach in developing and commercializing research opportunities.
The BMO-CIAR can provide assistance in any of the following areas:
- Identifying potential industry and community partners
- Developing project collaborations
- Guiding project scope and budget creation
- Providing project contract negotiation
- Protecting intellectual property
- Providing commercialization services
For more information, contact: