Quick links

Government Student Loans

Government student loans and grants can help you finance your education and are interest-free while you are in school full-time.

Update – 2024-Spring-Summer-Funding-Undergraduate-Programs

Who Can Apply for Student Loans

You are eligible to apply for a Government student loan if you are:

  • A Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or designated as a protected person.
  • Enrolled in or qualified to enroll full-time in an approved post-secondary program of studies (e.g., bachelor degree, master degree, after degree). Certificate and diploma programs at Concordia are not eligible for government funding.

To learn more about how student loans work, watch this Orientation Presentation.

Apply for Student Loans

  • Apply Early – You should apply at least 60 days before your classes start to ensure your funding is in place by the start of term when fees are due. You can apply for funding even before you are registered for classes. You can apply for funding up to 30 days before the semester end date.
  • Apply Every Year – You will need to submit an application each year that you require funding.  We recommend one application for Fall & Winter terms (if you are full-time for both terms) and a separate application for Spring and/or Summer sessions.
  • Apply through your province/territory of residence in Canada

Alberta students can apply online at www.studentaid.alberta.ca.

Out-of-province students should contact their provincial/territorial student financial assistance program and follow the application procedures.

Apply for a full-time student loan if you are taking at least 60% of a full-course load or higher for students in undergraduate degree programs (normally 9 credits or more per term for students in Arts, Science or Management).

Apply for a part-time student loan if you are taking less than 60% of a full-course load.

Course load can vary by program. Contact Financial Aid to confirm full-time status for your program. If you are a student with a Permanent Disability, your course load requirements for funding purposes may be different than what is listed above.

Receiving Your Student Loan Funds and Paying Tuition

Before you can receive your student loans and/or grants, two things need to happen:

1. Submit Student Loan Agreements – You must electronically sign a loan agreement before money can be released. In this agreement, you promise to repay student loans and you will provide your bank deposit information so the Government knows where to deposit funds. If you are receiving both Alberta student loans and Canada student loans, you will need to sign two separate agreements on two different websites. Any delays in signing your loan agreements can delay the release of funds.

2. Confirmation of Registration and paying your tuition – Concordia will confirm that you are registered full-time when the Government sends us the Confirmation of Registration request. In the same step, we will request that the amount you owe for tuition and fees is sent directly to our bank account. The fees owing to the university are the first charge against the student loan. The remaining balance will be deposited to your bank account. Tuition and fees are due on the first day of class each semester. If you have been approved for funding, please avoid making a duplicate payment and wait for your student loan/grant funding to come in first. This can take up to 10 business days so watch your online statement of account for it’s arrival. If the student loan awarded is less than the full amount of tuition and fees, you are responsible for paying the remaining balance. Any outstanding balance is subject to normal payment regulations (Academic Calendar, section 5.5) and deadlines (Academic Schedule, section 2.0). If you have any questions regarding your statement of account, please contact studentaccounts@concordia.ab.ca.

Dropping Classes

You must maintain full-time enrolment for your entire funding period. But it for some reason you drop below full-time status during your funding period, Concordia University of Edmonton will notify your lenders and any future funding disbursements will be cancelled. If your funding for a future semester is cancelled, you will need to reapply for funding for that semester.

Please speak with a financial aid advisor prior to dropping classes or withdrawing from your program to discuss the implications on your financial aid.

Maintaining Interest-Free Status

Student loans are interest-free while you are enrolled as a full-time student. But it is your responsibility to notify your student loan lenders each academic year because they do not know if you are returning to school or not. Understanding the life cycle of a student loan can help you maintain interest-free status and keep you out of trouble.

Repaying Your Student Loan

You must repay your student loan(s) after you stop being a full-time student. After your full-time study period has ended, you will enter a period called the non-repayment period. Payments are not required during this grace period but it is to your benefit to start repaying immediately.

Learn more about repaying your student loan.

If you are having difficulty making your student loan payments, the Repayment Assistance Plan may be an option for you. Failing to pay back your student loans can affect your financial future.

Learn more about the Repayment Assistance Plan.

Learn how a Concordia University of Edmonton alumnus, Brett, handled student loan repayment.

Part-time Financial Assistance

You can apply for part-time financial assistance in the form of loans and grants if you plan on studying part-time. Alberta residents are encouraged to submit the paper application form at least 4-6 weeks prior to the start of the term as it may take that amount of time to process your application. Learn more.

Students with Permanent Disabilities

Students with Permanent Disabilities may be eligible for Government grants and are encouraged to apply early. We encourage you to meet with CUE’s Learning Accommodation Services Advisor to work out an Individual Service Plan and then our Financial Aid Advisors can help you submit your funding application.

Out of Province Students

Out-of-province students who have not established Alberta residency for funding purposes should contact their provincial/territorial student financial assistance program and follow those application procedures.

Students who are citizens of countries other than Canada and who are attending Concordia University of Edmonton on a study permit (student visa) are not eligible for Canadian federal, provincial, and territorial financial assistance.  Applicants from other countries who require financial aid should contact officials of their own governments for financial assistance options.  International students may be eligible to apply for Concordia University of Edmonton’s Entrance Awards program, scholarships and bursaries.

U.S. Student Loans

Concordia University of Edmonton participates in the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program, in which U.S. citizens or eligible U.S. non-citizens may apply for federal loans directly from the U.S. Department of Education. The federal school code for Concordia University of Edmonton is G025938. There are a number of steps to take in order to have your funding in place for the start of the school year so start your planning as early as possible.

How do I apply for a US Direct Loan?

Veterans Affairs Canada – Education and Training Benefit

The Education and Training Benefit by Veterans Affairs Canada provides qualified Veterans with funding to help them achieve their college, university or technical education goals. To learn more about the program, visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.

Concordia Emergency Loans

From time to time students may experience an unanticipated event that can be financially distressing. Concordia University of Edmonton’s Emergency Loan Program is a short-term loan available to qualified students to help with financial emergencies. Learn more.

Aboriginal/First Nations/Métis Funding

If you are an aboriginal/First Nations/Métis student, you may be eligible for funding through your band or other agencies. You can get started by contacting the education office of your local band, the Métis Nation of Alberta or the Métis Education Foundation.

Book a Financial Aid Advising Appointment

Book a Student Loan Application Assistance Appointment