Grade 12 courses listed below are based on the Alberta Education curriculum and nomenclature.
With the exception of English Language Arts 30-1, Concordia University of Edmonton places acceptable Alberta Grade 12 subjects have been placed into four groups: Group A (Humanities), Group B (Fine Arts), Group C (Sciences), and Group D (Other).
Subjects presented for admission must be 5 credits in weight.
Group A (Humanities)
|Social Studies 30-1
|30-level Language Other than English (LOE) Language or Language and Culture courses at the 30 or 35 level
|Additional 30-level Language Other than English
|American Sign Language and Deaf Culture 35-3Y
|Aboriginal Studies 30
- Each of French 20S, 20N, 21, 30S, 30N, 31A, 31B or 31C, French Language Arts 20, 30, 30-1, 30-2, Français 20, 30, 30-1, 30-2, and Langue et Littérature 20 or 30 are equivalent to French 30 for admission purposes.
- Applicants who have French Language Arts 30, Français 30, or Langue et Littérature 30 may be granted advanced placement.
- American Sign Language 35, Arabic 35, Blackfoot Language and Culture 30, Chinese 35, Chinese Language and Culture 35, Cree 35, Cree Language and Culture 30, German 30 or 31, German Literature 35, Greek 35, Hebrew 35, Hungarian 35, Italian 30, Japanese 35, Japanese Language and Culture 30, Latin 30, Lithuanian 35, Polish 35, Portuguese 35, Russian 35, Spanish 30, Spanish 35, Swedish 35, Ukrainian 30, and Ukrainian Language Arts 20 or 30 also meet the Language Other than English requirement. Other languages may also be considered.
- Two courses from the same second language cannot be used to meet more than one Group A subject requirement.
- Applicants wishing to present either a 35-level language or a language other than one of those presented at the Grade 12 level in Alberta should contact Admissions.
Group B (Fine Art)
|Adv Acting/Touring Theatre 35
||Applied Graphic Arts 35
|Band Music 35
||Choral Music 30
|| Communications Technology, Advanced (Course Code: SUM3003)Communication Technology Adv(CTS)
|Contemporary Dance 35
||Drawing (Adv Techn) 35(CTS)
||Film & Media Arts 35(CTS)
||Film Studies 35
|General Music 30
||Instrumental Jazz 35
||Instrumental Music 30
|Jazz Dance 35
||Leadership in the Arts 35
|Musical Theatre 35
||Painting (Adv Techn) 35
||Performing Arts 35A, B, or C
||Portfolio Art 35
|Pottery/Ceramics (Adv Techn) 35
||Shooting the Screenplay 35
||Sculpting (Adv Techn) 35
||Tap Dance 35
|Technical Theatre 35
||Technical Theatre EPS 35
||Theatre Arts 35
||Vocal Jazz 35
- Equivalents of Music 30 or 31: Conservatory Canada, Grade 8 Practical and Grade 4 Theory; Royal Conservatory of Music of Toronto, Grade 8 Practical and Grade 2 Theory; Mount Royal College, Grade 8 Practical and Grade 2 Theory. Documents must be presented to Alberta Education for evaluation.
- Additional Fine Arts courses may be considered. For more information, contact Admissions.
Group C (Sciences)
||Computing Science, Advanced
- Only one of Mathematics 30-1 or Mathematics 30-2 may be used for admission.
- Students presenting Mathematics 30-2 for admission will be required to successfully complete Concordia University of Edmonton’s Mathematics 110 if they plan to pursue first-year university calculus.
- Additional Science courses may be considered. For more information, contact Admissions.
- Transitional Mathematics 101 from Athabasca University may be presented with Applied Mathematics 30 in lieu of Pure Mathematics 30.
Group D (Other)
|Course Examples:Applied Sociology 30, Experimental Psychology 30, International Politics 30, Microeconomics 30, Physical Education 30, Work Experience 35, World Religions 30, etc.
||Advanced Level Career and Technology Series (CTS) Course Examples: Agriculture Adv, Community Health Adv, Cosmetology Adv, Foods Adv, Legal Studies Adv, Mgmt. & Marketing Adv, etc.
- Excludes Special Projects 30
- Excludes all Registered Apprenticeship Programs
- All applicable Grade 12 Group D subjects must be at the “3000” level
- Only Advanced Level Career and Technology (CTS) courses will be considered.
- Students using a Group D subject for admission must present either one 5-credit, two 3-credit, or any credit combination of acceptable Grade 12 Group D subjects to make up the 5-credits.
[Approved by the General Faculties Council on May 22nd, 2020]