Hosted by members of the Concordia Symphony Orchestra (CSO)
Sign up for our new Orchestral Training and Leadership Workshop. Included in this workshop are repertoire preparation and orchestral training sessions for advanced string players and young conductors with a focus on rehearsal procedures and leadership coaching. Workshop topics range from roles and responsibilities of principal positions, orchestral bowings, orchestral protocols to professional demeanour, and leadership styles.
As a selected participant, you will receive a stipend to work in a leadership role during ensemble rehearsals and concert preparation (rotation of principal positions). You will be mentored by CSO clinicians and conductor and learn the skills to effectively lead an ensemble towards a successful performance.
You will have the opportunity to book individual mentoring sessions with clinicians for advice and guidance in their music careers.
Two participants will be chosen to receive a scholarship award in the amount of $500.00 each to support their music studies. The awards will be presented on the last day of the workshop.
- Repertoire preparation and live performance
- $1000 in scholarship prizes
- Mentoring sessions with CSO principals and conductor
- Lectures on a range of topics from performance practice, orchestral bowings, balance and intonation in orchestral performance, and leadership development
- Score study, baton technique, and podium practice for young conductors
- COVID-19 health and safety protocols in place
Dates: Tuesday, August 03 to Saturday, August 07, 2021
Time: 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Tuesday to Friday) and 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (Saturday)
Duration: 5 days (Tuesday to Friday: rehearsals and lectures. Saturday: dress rehearsal and live performance)
Venue: Tegler Student Centre
Enrollment: Based on COVID-19 regulations at the time, the program administrators may restrict the number of admissions to a maximum of 10 participants.
Please note: Mandatory use of masks on campus.
With thanks to our sponsors:
The Chinese Cultural Society
|Time||Aug 3||Aug 4||Aug 5||Aug 6|
Lecture I (Tegler)
|Mentorship Session (A 314)|
Lecture II (Tegler)
|Mentorship session (A 314)|
|Mentorship session (A 314)|
Lecture IV (Tegler)
|6:30-8:15 pm||Rehearsal I||Rehearsal II||Rehearsal III||Rehearsal IV|
|8:30-9:00 pm||Rehearsal I||Rehearsal II+Podium practice I||Rehearsal III+Podium practice II||Rehearsal IV+Podium practice III|
Performance Schedule – August 7
|9:30-10:30 am||Dress rehearsal|
|10:30-10:45 am||Award Ceremony|
Registration opens on June 23, 2021
Registration Deadline: July 28, 2021
Selection results: July 30, 2021
- String Players: 5-minute video with a recording of the applicant’s performance featuring repertoire that demonstrates his/her technical and musicianship abilities.
- Conductors: Conducting participants are expected to have a foundational knowledge of conducting techniques with proven completion of a university-level conducting course or equivalent experience. The sessions will focus on score preparation, baton technique, rehearsal methods, and leadership coaching, including reserved podium time with the string ensemble and mentoring sessions with clinicians.
Open to string players and aspiring conductors (18 years old and up)
All applicants will be contacted by email on July 30 for the selection results.
Part distribution (I and II violins) will also be announced on July 30. Both string players and conductors are encouraged to download their parts from the website and come prepared for the first rehearsal on August 03.
Refunds: CUE will refund the tuition in the case a candidate is not selected to participate due to maximum gathering sizes having been reached or in the event of a program cancellation in compliance with COVID-19 regulations.
Artistic Director: Dr. Danielle Lisboa
Program Coordinator: Frank Ho
Danielle Lisboa, conducting
Frank Ho, violin
Darrel Soetaert, viola
John Fedor, cello
Antonio Vivaldi – Concerto for Strings in G major, RV 151 “Concerto alla Rustica”
Edvard Grieg – Holberg Suite, Op. 40
Download your score and parts here:
If you have any questions or would like more information, please email Frank Ho, Program Coordinator.
Click here for information about the Concordia Symphony Orchestra.