CCS will offer three levels of Chinese Language Course in 2018-2019:
HSK Level 3 Chinese
Students who take HSK Level 3 will be able to understand and learn language materials related to daily settings. They can use more complex sentence patterns to communicate on familiar topics through interactions and descriptions.
HSK Level 2 Chinese
Students who take HSK Level 2 will be able to understand and master basic language materials related to common personal and daily life. They will master basic sentence structures, make simple sentences, provide simple descriptions, and exchange some basic information.
HSK Level 1 Chinese
Students who take HSK Level 1 Chinese will be able to understand basic language materials related to common personal and daily life. They can retell, recite and copy words or sentences with fair accuracy and can write words or sentences following example.
Students taking the Chinese Language Courses will begin to develop interest and confidence in learning the Chinese language. They will acquire preliminary knowledge of learning strategies, communicative strategies, resource strategies and interdisciplinary strategies under the instructor’s guidance. They will gain introductory Chinese cultural knowledge, preliminary cross-cultural competence and international perspectives.
- These three courses are designed to give students a good command of spoken and written Chinese and an introduction to Chinese culture and civilization. Students will learn 150 characters and 150 vocabulary words in HSK Level 1 Chinese, and another 150 characters and 150 vocabulary words in HSK Level 2 Chinese. Students will learn another 300 characters and vocabulary words in HSK Level 3 Chinese. Students will learn how to type and recognize characters, rather than writing characters. It is much easier than you imagined!
- Students who take these courses will challenge HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) level 1, 2 or 3 and receive the international certificate for Chinese Proficiency. Students who are able to pass the HSK Level I can understand and use very simple Chinese words and phrases, meet basic needs for communication and possess the ability to expand their Chinese language studies. Students who are able to pass the HSK Level 2 will have an excellent grasp of basic Chinese and can communicate in simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. Students who are able to pass the HSK Level 3 can communicate in Chinese at a basic level in their daily, academic and professional lives. They can manage most communication in Chinese when travelling in China.
- Participants in these courses will have the opportunity to participate in the Chinese Bridget Competition in 2019 spring.
Invitees: ALL CUE faculty, staff and public learners.
Registration: Directly with Dr. Xinxin Fang (Xinxin.firstname.lastname@example.org)
- These courses are free for CUE staff and faculty.
- For public learners from outside of CUE, please click here for course tuition payment.
HSK Level 3 Chinese—30 hours (2 hours/week, for 15 weeks, every Wednesday starting 16 January, until 24 April, 2019.
HSK Level 2 Chinese–21 hours (1.5 hours/week, for 14 weeks, every Tuesday starting 15 January, until 23 April, 2019.
HSK Level 1 Chinese–21 hours (1.5 hours/week, for 14 weeks, every Monday starting 14 January, until 22 April, 2019.
HSK Level 3 Chinese –Wednesday: 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
HSK Level 2 Chinese –Tuesday: 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm
HSK Level 1 Chinese –Monday: 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm
HSK Level 3 Chinese –Wednesday: 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm – HA019
HSK Level 2 Chinese –Tuesday: 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm – HA019
HSK Level 1 Chinese –Monday: 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm – HA208
Instructor and Contact Information
HSK Level 3 Chinese- Ms. Ruiqing Wang, Chinese visiting teacher at CCS
HSK Level 2 Chinese- Ms. Ruiqing Wang, Chinese visiting teacher at CCS
HSK Level 1 Chinese-Ms. Ruiqing Wang, Chinese visiting teacher at CCS
Office Hours: Please feel free to stop by L273 anytime.
Additional Contacts and Services
Director, Centre for Chinese Studies: Dr. Xinxin Fang
Phone: (780) 378-8437
Office: CS 201
Vice President External Affairs & International Relations: Dr. Manfred Zeuch
Phone: (780) 479-9329
Schedule of Events (such as HSK test, Chinese Bridge Competition, China Studies lectures and Chinese Festival Celebration): Will be provided to learners but is subject to change if the instructor or program director deems necessary and is in the best interests of the students.
 The HSK is an international standardized exam that tests and rates Chinese language proficiency. It assesses non-native Chinese speakers’ abilities in using the Chinese language in their daily, academic and professional lives. HSK level 1 and 2 is equivalent to A1 and 2 level in CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
 The “Chinese Bridge” Competition is a large-scale international contest and show on Chinese language and talents. It is well-known in the cultural and educational exchanges worldwide.