12.3 Vocal Pedagogy and Performance Certificate
This 30 credit certificate program will prepare students for a profession in studio voice teaching through the completion of vocal performance related and vocal pedagogy courses, culminating in a senior level voice recital and a vocal pedagogy practicum course.
The Vocal Pedagogy and Performance Certificate is intended for students currently enrolled in a 4-year BA music degree program or students who have completed a BA in music or a BMus degree.
- Interview with a Fine Arts Department representative, which will outline the specific program, complete with requirement sheet to take to Admissions.
- To be admitted into the proposed certificate program students must have completed a minimum of 48 university level credits and be registered in a 4-year Bachelor of Arts program with a music major in good academic standing with a 2.3 GPA in the last 30 credits or present either an earned BA with a music major specializing in voice or an earned BMus in voice with a GPA of 2.3 in the last 60 credits of either degree. Students can begin the Vocal Pedagogy and Performance Certificate in the fall of their 3rd or 4th year of study.
- This certificate program is not open to international applicants.
- It is recommended that students entering the program have completed 3 credits of MUPV 226 (Applied Music - Voice (Primary Area)) and MUS 362 (Vocal Diction) or equivalent.
B. Program Requirements
- 30 credits required, to include:
- MUS 362 (Vocal Diction)
- MUS 363 (Vocal Diction II: French/Italian Diction)
- MUS 372 (Vocal Pedagogy)
- MUS 380 (Vocal Literature)
- MUPV 495 (Recital Preparation in Applied Music - Voice) and MUPV 496 (Recital Preparation in Applied Music - Voice)
- 6 credits of any other MUPV courses
- MUS 335 (Vocal Pedagogy Project Preparation)
- MUS 336 (Vocal Pedagogy Practicum)
- 6 credits chosen from
- DRA 252 (Fundamentals of Public Speaking),
- DRA 353 (Scene Study I),
- DRA 149 (Introduction to Dramatic Process),
- DRA 247 (Introduction to and Development of Physical and Vocal Communication),
- MUS 490 (Topics in Music),
- MUS 361 (Choral and Vocal Methods)
- 3 credits in the Faculty of Management; (BUS 110 (Business Fundamentals) is recommended)
- Students must achieve a minimum overall GPA of 2.3 in the required courses.
- Students must complete a minimum of 15 credits at Concordia University of Edmonton.
- For graduation, students are required to have completed a 4-year BA in Music or a BMus in voice.
- Students have to complete this program within 4 years.
Concordia University of Edmonton issues the Vocal Pedagogy and Performance Certificate to students who successfully complete the required course work.