13.4.3 Graduate Diploma in Information Security (GDIS)
The Graduate Diploma in Information Security is an 18 credit program that is entirely coursework based. Any coursework taken or diploma received will count towards the Master of Information Systems Security Management (MISSM) should the student or graduate apply to the MISSM program at a later date. Note that holders of the Master of Information Systems Assurance Management (MISAM) degree may not apply for the MISSM degree; however they may receive the Graduate Diploma in Information Security.
A. Admission Requirements
To be considered for admission, applicants must present the following requirements:
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized educational institution: normally a four-year bachelor’s degree (computing science, IT or MIS). Students with a relevant three-year undergraduate degree may be admissible but may be required to take qualifying courses.
- An admission grade point average (AGPA) of at least 3.0 (on Concordia University of Edmonton’s 4-point scale) or equivalent on the most recently completed 60 credits. The complete admission criteria is covered in section 13.1.1.A of this Academic Calendar.
All grades used in calculating the AGPA are adjusted according to Concordia University of Edmonton’s grade conversion scale.
- A resume;
- A security clearance;
- Demonstrated fulfilment of Concordia University of Edmonton’s English Language Requirement, section 13.1.1.D.
Space is limited and admission is competitive; as such, meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission.
B. Program Requirements
- 18 credits required, to include:
- ISSM523 (Network Security) (3 Cr.)
- ISSM525 (Application and Cloud Security) (3 Cr.)
- one of ISSM551 (Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity) (3 Cr.) or ISSM553 (Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC)) (3 Cr.)
- ISSM505 (System and Virtualization Security) (3 Cr.)
- ISSM536 (Incident Response and Digital Forensics) (3 Cr.)
- ISSM533 (Cryptology and Secure Network Communications) (3 Cr.)
- achieve a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in the required courses,
- must complete 12 of 18 credits at Concordia University of Edmonton,
- complete program within 6 years.
C. Graduation Requirements
Students graduate on one of the three degree-conferral dates following successful completion of their program requirements as well as the general program requirements of The Faculty of Graduate Studies, section 13.1.4. For further information about graduation requirements, see Graduation Requirements, section 13.1.5.