Bill Hanson, PhD, RPsych
Professor, Clinical Psychology, & Director of Training, PsyD Program
PSY 801, Theoretical & Empirical Foundations of Clinical Psychology
PSY 810, Research Design & Thesis/Proposal Development
PSY 840, Collaborative/Therapeutic Assessment
PSY 880, Pre-doctoral Internship/Clinical Residency
Graduate Teaching Award, University of Alberta, 2018
Award for Distinguished Teaching, University of Nebraska, 2005
Academic & Clinical Interests
Psychological Assessment & Evaluation
Therapist Training & Development
Mixed Methods Research
Dr. Hanson is a process-outcome researcher and is interested in “what works and why” in clinical training, supervision, and practice. He’s particularly interested in assessment feedback processes regarding trainee development/performance and the treatment progress of clients. He’s also interested in humanistic approaches to psychological testing, like Collaborative/Therapeutic Assessment. Over the years, he has published widely and presented regularly on these topics. Additionally, he has published and presented on mixed methods research, which involves the collection, analysis, and integration/mixing of quantitative and qualitative data. Currently, he serves on two international Editorial Boards, including the European Journal of Psychological Assessment and the Canadian Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy. For fun, he studies hockey analytics and is a guest writer for the Edmonton Journal.
- Yamamoto, S., Osornio-Vargas, A., Jones, A., Bulut, O., Hanson, W. E., et al. (2020). Climate change surveillance of chronic health effects on vulnerable populations. Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). (Amount funded: $1,052,425.00)
- Hanson, W. E., & Shealy, C. N. (2018). Cultivating the Globally Sustainable Self summit series. University of Alberta & James Madison University. (Amount awarded: $125,990.00)
- Hanson, W. E., Leighton, J. P., Donaldson, S. I., Oakland, T., Terjesen, M. D., & Shealy, C. N. (in press). Assessment: The power and potential of psychological testing, educational measurement, and program evaluation around the world. In C. N. Shealy, M. Bullock, & S. Kapadia (Eds.), Going global: How psychology and psychologists can meet a world in need. Washington, DC: APA Books.
- Cormier, D. C., Hanson, W. E., & Flanagan, A. M. (2020). Research designs and methods with adolescents and emerging adults. In S. Hupp & J. Jewell (Eds.), Encyclopedia of child and adolescent development (pp. 1-12). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Dubue, J. D., & Hanson, W. E. (2020). Psychologists’ experiences conducting suicide risk assessments: A phenomenological study. Canadian Journal of Counselling & Psychotherapy, 54(4), 819-845.
- Zhou, H., Hanson, W. E., Jacobson, R. M., Allan, A., Armstrong, D. L., Dykshoorn, K., & Pott, T. (2020). Psychological test feedback: Canadian clinicians’ perceptions and practices. Canadian Journal of Counselling & Psychotherapy, 54(4), 691-714.
Most-Cited Journal Articles
- Creswell, J. W., Hanson, W. E., Plano Clark, V. L., & Morales, A. (2007). Qualitative research designs: Selection and implementation. The Counseling Psychologist, 35, 236-264. [Cited by 3,749]
- Hanson, W. E., Creswell, J. W., Plano Clark, V. L., Petska, K. S., & Creswell, J. D. (2005). Mixed methods research designs in counseling psychology. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 52, 224-235. [Cited by 2,229]
- Poston, J. M., & Hanson, W. E. (2010). Meta-analysis of psychological assessment as a therapeutic intervention. Psychological Assessment, 22, 203-212. [Cited by 333]
- Hanson, W. E., Curry, K. T., & Bandalos, D. L. (2002). Reliability generalization of Working Alliance Inventory scale scores. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 62, 659-673. [Cited by 226]
Published Test Reviews
- Hanson, W. E., & Merker, B. M. (2005). [Review of Outcome Questionnaire-45.2]. In B. S. Plake, J. C. Impara, & R. A. Spies (Eds.), The sixteenth mental measurements yearbook (pp. 737-739). Lincoln, NE: Buros Institute for Testing.
- Hanson, W. E. (2003). [Review of Brief Symptom Inventory 18]. In B. S. Plake, J. C. Impara, & R. A. Spies (Eds.), The fifteenth mental measurements yearbook (pp. 138-141). Lincoln, NE: Buros Institute for Testing.
- Hanson, W. E. (2001). [Review of Butcher Treatment Planning Inventory]. In B. S. Plake & J. C. Impara (Eds.), The fourteenth mental measurements yearbook (pp. 198-202). Lincoln, NE: Buros Institute for Testing.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Hanson, W. E. (2021, June). Turbocharging psychotherapy: The many therapeutic benefits of treatment process monitoring. In D. Truscott (Chair), Process, progress, and outcome monitoring in psychotherapy: The good, the bad, and the ugly. Symposium accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of the Canadian Psychological Association, Ottawa, Ont.
- Armstrong, D. L., Hanson, W. E., & Hawkins, W. L. (2019, May). Collaborative/therapeutic assessment with psychiatric inpatients diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Psychological Association, Halifax, NS.
- Hanson, W. E. (2019, May). Measuring grit. In A. Mosewich (Chair), Analyzing grit. Symposium conducted at The Sport Conference, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
- Poth, C., & Hanson, W. E. (2018, July). Mixed methods research in a complex world: Big problems, bigger solutions. Cultivating the Globally Sustainable Self conference/Summit Series, Banff, AB.