Sociology is the scientific study of human society. Sociologists attempt to reach a deeper understanding of people and their social environment, offering a special perspective on our daily lives.
At Concordia University of Edmonton, the Sociology program’s primary goal is to help you develop a strong working knowledge of the theory, concepts, methodology, publications, and practices in the field of sociology. By the end of their program, students are able to:
- Identify the relationship between historical context and the development of society and culture
- Converse on social issues and identify, discuss, and debate different positions
- Critique the major theoretical and methodological issues in the field of sociology
- Write a well-structured, critical research paper
- Present material in an effective and professional manner
- Conduct research using primary and secondary data
- Demonstrate a concern for social issues and sense of social responsibly
Students who pursue this program can choose from a 3-year concentration or 4-year major with various course options.
When you come to Concordia University of Edmonton, you will master the skills, garner the knowledge, and create the connections you need to secure a job, discover the world, and build your future.
Associated careers include, but are not limited to: positions within the criminal justice, health care, and human rights systems, human resources, law enforcement, and teaching.