Dr. Valerie Henitiuk
Vice President Academic and Provost
Phone: +1 780 479 9384
Education and Interests
PhD (Comparative Literature), University of Alberta, 2005
MA (Classical Japanese Literature), University of Alberta, 2000
Diplôme d’études linguistiques françaises, Sorbonne III, 1989
MA (French Literary Translation), University of Alberta, 1988
BA (French and Latin), University of Alberta, 1985
Valerie Henitiuk was appointed Vice-President Academic and Provost at CUE in 2017, with an academic appointment in the Department of Literature and Language. Previously, she was affiliated with MacEwan University (2013-17) and the University of East Anglia (2007-13), where she also served as Director of the British Centre for Literary Translation. She has been visiting scholar at both Columbia University (2005-7) and Harvard (2010-11).
Her research has focused primarily on translation studies, world literature, Japanese literature, metaphor, and women’s writing; currently, she is studying the translation and circulation of Inuit-Canadian literature in English and French, supported by a SSHRC Insight Development Grant.
Dr. Henitiuk’s work has been published in journals such as the Canadian Review of Comparative Literature, Comparative Literature Studies, META, Target, Translation Studies, and TTR, and in collected volumes such as Teaching World Literature, Thinking through Translation with Metaphors, Translating Women, and A Companion to Translation Studies. From 2012-17, she was editor-in-chief of the Routledge journal Translation Studies.
- Henitiuk, V. and S. Kar, ed. Spark of Light: Short stories by Women Writers of Odisha. University of Athabasca Press, 2016.
- Baxter, J., V. Henitiuk, and B. Hutchinson, ed. A Literature of Restitution: Critical Essays on W. G. Sebald. Manchester University Press, 2013.
- Henitiuk, V. Worlding Sei Shônagon: The Pillow Book in Translation. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 2012.
- Henitiuk, V. and S. Kar, ed. One Step towards the Sun: Short Stories by Women from Orissa. Bhubaneswar, India: Rupantar, 2010.
- Henitiuk, V. “Embodied Boundaries: Images of Liminality in a Selection of Woman-Authored Courtship Narratives.” Studies in Liminality and Literature Vol. 7. Madrid: Gateway Press/ Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 2007.
Major Research Awards
- SSHRC Insight Development Grant (2017-19)
- Leverhulme Research Fellowship (held at Harvard University, 2010-11)
- SSHRC Postdoctoral Research Prize (2005)
- Governor General’s Gold Medal (University of Alberta, 2005)
- SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship (held at Columbia University, 2005-07)
- Dorothy J. Killam Memorial Graduate Prize (University of Alberta, 2003)
- Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship (University of Alberta, 2003-05)
- Visiting Researcher Award (Kokugakuin University, Tokyo, 2002-03)
- SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship (University of Alberta, 2000-04)