Alison Yacyshyn PhD
Eslam G. AbdAllah PhD
Chair, MISSM MISAM
Dr. Eslam G. AbdAllah is an Assistant Professor in Concordia University of Edmonton, AB, Canada. He is serving as the chair of the Information Systems Security and Assurance Management (ISSAM) Department. Eslam was a postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Systems and Computer Engineering in Carleton University, ON, Canada. Dr. AbdAllah worked as an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Computer and Information Sciences in Ain Shams University in Egypt. Dr. AbdAllah received his PhD from the School of Computing, Queen’s University in Kingston, ON, Canada in 2017. Eslam has contributed to several journals, technical papers and reports. He got scholarships and awards from NSERC and MITACS Canada.
Research interests: cryptography, network security, post-quantum cryptography, information centric networking (ICN), Radio Frequency IDentification (RFID), and autonomous vehicles
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/index_eng.asp
- Mathematics of Information Technology and Complex Systems (MITACS), https://www.mitacs.ca/en
- Treefort Technologies Incorporated, https://treeforttech.com/
- K. Mazumder and E. G. AbdAllah, “Information-Centric Networking (ICN) Based Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity (DRBC) of Bangladesh”, The 7th International Workshop on Emerging Dependable Computing System Technologies and Applications (EDCSTA) in the 21st IEEE International Conference on Dependable, Autonomic & Secure Computing (DASC 2023), Abu Dhabi, UAE, Nov. 2023. [Accepted]
- F. Ayodele, H. Singh, and E. G. AbdAllah, “Securing RFID-Based Attendance Management Systems: An Implementation of the AES Block Cipher Algorithm”, IEEE International Conference on RFID Technology and Applications (RFID-TA 2023), Aveiro, Portugal, Sept 2023, pp. 99-102.
- G. R. Gautam, V. Murali, and E. G. AbdAllah, “Enhancing Radio Frequency Identification Systems Security using KLEIN algorithm”, IEEE International Conference on Technology and Applications (RFID-TA 2023), Aveiro, Portugal, Sept 2023, pp. 103-106.
- R. S. Reen, G. Dharmani, R. Gothwal, and E. G. AbdAllah, “Evaluation of Wireless Deauthentication Attacks and Countermeasures on Autonomous Vehicles”, The 2023 IEEE International Symposium on Autonomous Vehicle Software (IEEE AVS2023), Tokyo, Japan, August 2023, pp. 494-501.
- R. Gothwal, G. Dharmani, R. S. Reen, and E. G. AbdAllah, “Evaluation of Man-in-the-Middle Attacks and Countermeasures on Autonomous Vehicles”, The 2023 IEEE International Symposium on Autonomous Vehicle Software (IEEE AVS2023), Tokyo, Japan, August 2023, pp. 502-509.
- M. Eltahlawy, H. K. Aslan, E. G. AbdAllah, M. S. Elsayed, A. D. Jurcut, and M. A. Azer, “A Survey on Parameters Affecting MANET Performance”, Electronics, vol. 12, no. 9, April 2023, pp. 1-28.
- D. Thangavelu, K. Bhesania, and E. G. AbdAllah, “Performance Analysis of CRYSTALS-Kyber Post-Quantum Cryptographic System”, International Conference of the Theory of Quantum Computation, Communication and Cryptography (TQC), Aveiro, Portugal, July 2023 [Poster].
- S. Akuma and E. G. AbdAllah, “Impacts of Radio Frequency IDentification (RFID) Technology in Business Continuity”, Security Aspects in Processes and Services Engineering (SAPSE 2022) in IEEE Computers, Software & Applications in an Uncertain World (IEEE COMPSAC), Virtual, July 2022, pp.1-6.
- M. Safwat, A. Elgammal, E. G. AbdAllah, and M. A. Azer, “Segmented OTA Platform Over ICN Vehicular Networks”, Journal of Mobile Networks and Applications, Springer, March 2022, pp.1-10.
- A. Elgammal, M. Safwat, E. G. AbdAllah, and M. A. Azer, “Survey and Taxonomy of Information-Centric Vehicular Networking Security Attacks”, Ad Hoc Networks, Elsevier, vol. 124, no. 102696, 2022, pp. 1-14.
- A. Elgammal, M. Safwat, W. Badawy, E. G. AbdAllah, M. A. Azer, and C. Huang, “Vehicle Software Update over ICN Architectures”, International Conference on Ad Hoc Networks (ADHOCNETS 2020), LNICST 345, pp. 44–54, 2021.
- E. G. AbdAllah, Y.R. Kuang, and C. Huang, “Advanced Encryption Standard New Instructions (AES-NI) Analysis: Security, Performance, and Power Consumption”, 12th International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering (ICCAE 2020), ACM, Sydney, Australia, February 2020.
- E. G. AbdAllah, M. Zulkernine, and H. S. Hassanein, “Preventing Unauthorized Access Attacks in Information Centric Networking”, Security and Privacy, August 2018, e33, DOI: 10.1002/spy2.33, pp. 1-13.
- E. G. AbdAllah, M. Zulkernine, and H. S. Hassanein, “DADI: Defending Against DDoS in ICN Routing and Caching”, Security and Privacy, March 2018, e16, DOI: 10.1002/spy2.16. pp. 1-17.
- E. G. AbdAllah, M. Zulkernine, and H. S. Hassanein, “A Security Framework for ICN Traffic Management”, The 3rd IEEE Cyber Science and Technology Congress (CyberSciTech2018), Athens, Greece, August 2018.
- C. Liem, E. G. AbdAllah, C. Okoye, J. O’Connor, S. UI Alam, and S. Janes, “Runtime Self-Protection and Integrity Verification in a Trusted Distributed Environment”, 15th escar Europe, Berlin, Germany, November 2017.
- E. G. AbdAllah, M. Zulkernine, Y. X. Gu, and C. Liem, “Towards Defending Connected Vehicles Against Attacks”, 5th European Conference on the Engineering of Computer Based Systems (ECBS 2017), Larnaca, Cyprus, August – September 2017.
- E. G. AbdAllah, M. Zulkernine, Y. X. Gu, and C. Liem, “TRUST-CAP: A Trust Model for Cloud-based Applications”, IEEE 41st Annual Computer Software and Applications Conference on the 7th IEEE International COMPSAC Workshop on Network Technologies for Security, Administration and Protection (NETSAP), Torino, Italy, July 2017, pp. 584-589.
- E. G. AbdAllah, M. Zulkernine, and H. S. Hassanein, “DACPI: A Decentralized Access Control Protocol for Information Centric Networking”, IEEE International Conference on Communications Symposium on Communication and Information System Security (IEEE ICC’16 CISS), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May 2016.
- E. G. AbdAllah, H. S. Hassanein, and M. Zulkernine, “A Survey of Security Attacks Information-Centric Networking”, IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 17, no. 3, August 2015, pp. 1441–1454.
- E. G. AbdAllah, M. Zulkernine, and H. S. Hassanein, “Detection and Prevention of malicious Requests in ICN Routing and Caching”, The 13th IEEE International Conference on Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing (IEEE DASC-2015), Liverpool, UK, October 2015, pp. 1741–1748. [Best Paper Award]
- E. G. AbdAllah, M. Zulkernine, and H. S. Hassanein, “Countermeasures for Mitigating ICN Routing Related DDoS Attacks”, The 10th International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks (Securecomm14), Beijing, China, Sept. 2014, pp. 84 – 92.
- Eslam Gamal Ahmed, Eman Shaaban, and Mohamed Hashem, “Lightweight Mutual Authentication Protocol for Low cost RFID Tags”, International Journal of Network Security & Its Application (IJNSA), Academy & Industry Research Collaboration Center (AIRCC), vol. 2, no. 2, April 2010, pp. 27-37.
- Eslam Gamal Ahmed, Eman Shaaban, and Mohamed Hashem, “Lightweight Mix Columns Implementation for AES”, 9th WSEAS International Conference on Applied Informatics and Communications (AIC ’09), Moscow, Russia, August 2009, pp. 253-258.
ISSM533: Cryptology and Secure Network Communications
ISSM551: Disaster Recovery and Planning
ISSM536: Incident Response and Digital Forensics
ISSM538: Research Methods & Communication
ISSM575 & ISSM576: Capstone I & Capstone II
ISSM590 & ISSM591: Research Methods II & Research Methods III
- Keynote Speaker at The 7th Bosphorus International Conference on Cybersecurity, Szczecin, Poland, July 2023, http://cyberpoliticsconference.org/
- Judge at Canada-Wide Science Fair (CWSF), Edmonton, AB, May 2023, https://youthscience.ca/science-fairs/cwsf/edmonton-2023/
- Keynote Speaker at the Ninth ACM Workshop on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation in Defense, Security, and Risk Management (SecDef 2022), GECCO 2022, Boston, USA, July 9-13, 2022, https://secdef.cs.dal.ca/
- Invited Speaker at the 2nd International Conference on Internet of Things and Smart City, Feb. 2022, Xiamen, China, http://www.iotsc.net/
- Technical Program Committee (TPC) member at the Airbobrne and Maritime Mobile Systems and Services Track, VTC 2021 and VTC 2022, Helsinki https://events.vtsociety.org/vtc2022-spring/
- Technical Program Committee (TPC) member at the Workshop on Vehicular Information Services for the Internet of Things (VISIT), Canada
- Technical Program Committee (TPC) member at the IEEE International Conference on Computer and Communication Systems (ICCCS 2020-2022), China http://www.icccs.org/
Bobby Swar PhD
Associate Professor, MISSM/MISAM
Dr. Swar received his PhD in 2011 from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea. Before joining CUE, Dr. Swar worked as an Assistant Professor in South Korea at SolBridge International School of Business, Woosong University for over 5 years. Dr. Swar co-chaired the Information Systems Security and Assurance (ISSAM) Department in 2020 and later chaired the Department from January 2021 to June 2022.
Dr. Swar is a Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA). Dr. Swar’s other relevant professional certifications include ISO/IEC 27001 Foundation, Lean IT Foundation, COBIT 5 Assessor and COBIT 5 Foundation.
Dr. Swar has published in journals such as Computers in Human Behaviour, Information Systems Frontier, Social Science Computer Review, Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice, Scientometrics, Information Development, Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), and Int. J. Services Technology and Management.
IT risk management, behavioural and social aspects of information systems and security, information systems audit and compliance and dark side of the internet and social media.
- Ahamed, W. S. S., Zavarsky, P., & Swar, B. (2021). Security Audit of Docker Container Images in Cloud Architecture. 2nd IEEE International Conference on Secure Cyber Computing and Communications (IEEE ICSCCC), Jalandhar, India.
- Gill, K. A., Zavarsky, P., & Swar, B. (2021). Automation of Security and Privacy Controls for Efficient Information Security Management. 2nd IEEE International Conference on Secure Cyber Computing and Communications (IEEE ICSCCC), India.
- Ude, O., & Swar, B. (2021). Securing Remote Access Networks using Malware Detection Tools for Industrial Control Systems. The 4th IEEE International Conference on Industrial Cyber-Physical Systems (IEEE ICPS), Victoria, Canada.
- Nyasore, N. O., Zavarsky, P., Swar, B., Naiyeju, R., & Dabra, S. (2020). Deep Packet Inspection in Industrial Automation Control System to Mitigate Attacks Exploiting Modbus/TCP Vulnerabilities. The 6th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Data and Security (IDS), Maryland, USA.
- Halabi, J., Aghili, S., & Swar, B. (2020, July). Blockchain and Banking Fraud. Understanding the risks and benefits of using blockchain technology in financial services internal auditing. Financial Services Audit Center, The Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Aghili, S., & Swar, B. (2020, March/April). Bank on It 50 research-based best practices for the financial sector (and every other industry, too). InfoSecurity Professional.
- Kothia, A., Swar, B., & Jaafar, F. (2019). Knowledge Extraction and Integration for Information Gathering in Penetration Testing. The 19th IEEE International Conference on Software Quality, Reliability and Security Companion (QRS-C), Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Njorbuenwu, M., Swar, B., & Zavarsky, P. (2019). A Survey on the Impacts of Quantum Computers on Information Security. The 2nd International Conference on Data Intelligence and Security (ICDIS), Texas, USA.
- Singh, G., Butakov, S., & Swar, B. (2019). Thermal Print Scanning Attacks in Retail Environments. 2019 International Siberian Conference on Control and Communications (SIBCON), Tomsk, Russia.
- Reychav, I., Fui-Hoon, F., & Swar, B. (2018). Impact of Design Elements in Collaborative Learning – Research in Progress. SIGHCI 2018 Proceedings, San Francisco, California.
- Ogundokun, A., Zavarsky, P., & Swar, B. (2018). Cybersecurity Assurance Control Baselining for Smart Grid Communication Systems. 14th IEEE International Workshop on Factory Communication Systems, Imperia, Italy.
- Luswata, J., Zavarsky, P., Swar, B., & Zvabva, D. (2018). Analysis of SCADA Security using Penetration Testing: A case study on Modbus TCP Protocol. 29th Biennial Symposium on Communications, Toronto, Canada.
- Turaev, H., Zavarsky, P., & Swar, B. (2018). Prevention of Ransomware Execution in Enterprise Environment on Windows OS: Assessment of Application Whitelisting Solutions. The 1st International Conference on Data Intelligence and Security (ICDIS). South Padre Island, USA.
- Mabo, T., Swar, B., & Aghili, S. (2018). A Vulnerability Study of Mhealth Chronic Disease Management (CDM) Applications (apps). In: Rocha Á., Adeli H., Reis L.P., Costanzo S. (eds) Trends and Advances in Information Systems and Technologies. WorldCIST’18 2018. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol 745. Springer, Cham.
- Ogunyebi O., Swar B., Aghili S. (2018) An Incident Handling Guide for Small Organizations in the Hospitality Sector. In: Rocha Á., Adeli H., Reis L.P., Costanzo S. (eds) Trends and Advances in Information Systems and Technologies. WorldCIST’18 2018. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol 745. Springer, Cham.
- Swar, B., Hameed, T., & Rechav, I. (2017). Information Overload, Psychological Ill-being, and Behavioral Intention to Continue Online Health Information Search. Computers in Human Behavior, 70, 416-425.
- Swar, B., & Hameed, T. (2017, January). On Cross-Cultural Information Security Behaviors in the Workplace. IEEE Internet Policy Newsletter.
- Swar, B., & Hameed, T. (2017). Fear of Missing Out, Social Media Engagement, Smartphone Addiction, and Distraction: Moderating Role of Self-help Mobile Apps-based Interventions in the Youth. 10th International Conference on Health Informatics, Porto, Portugal.
- Hameed, T., & Swar, B. (2016). Information Systems Acquisition Decisions: Learning Management System of SolBridge. Journal of Information Technology Teaching Cases, 6(2), 121-133.
- Moon, J., Choe, C. Y., Chung, M., Jung, G. H., & Swar, B. (2016). IT Outsourcing Success in the Public Sector: Lesson from E-government Practices in Korea. Information Development, 32, 142-160.
- Hameed, T., & Swar, B. (2015). Social Value and Information Quality in Online Health Information Search – Research in Progress. The 26th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, Adelaide, Australia.
- Khan, G. F., Swar, B., & Lee, S. K. (2014). Social Media Risks and Benefits: A Public Sector Perspective. Social Science Computer Review, 32(5), 606-627.
- Swar, B., & Khan, G. F. (2014). Mapping ICT Knowledge Infrastructure in South Asia. Scientometrics, 99(1), 117-137.
- Swar, B. & Khan, G. F. (2013). An Analysis of the Information Technology Outsourcing Domain: A Social Network and Triple Helix Approach. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 64(11), 2366-2377.
- Rajaguru, R., & Swar, B. (2013). Inter-organizational Information Systems (IOIS) and Cybermediaries for Agriculture and Food Supply Chain. Agribusiness and Information Management, 5(1), 1-10.
- Khan, G. F., & Swar, B. (2013). Government 2.0: Utilization Model, Implementation Scenarios, and Relationships. Pre-21st European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) workshop: E-Government, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Butakov, S., Solodky, O., & Swar, B. (2013). LMS Implementation in Startup Institutions: Case Study of Three Projects. In Y. Kats (Ed.), Learning Management Systems and Instructional Design: Best Practices in Online Education (pp. 40-54). Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.
- Swar, B., and Khan, G. F. (2012). Analysis of Triple Helix Network Collaboration among University-Industry-Government for Information Technology Outsourcing. European, Mediterranean & Middle Eastern Conference on Information Systems (EMCIS), Munich, Germany.
- Swar, B., Moon, J., Oh, J., & Rhee, C., (2012). Determinants of Relationship Quality for IS/IT Outsourcing Success in Public Sector. Information Systems Frontier, 14(2), 457-475.
- Swar, B., Moon, J., & Khan, G. F. (2012). Public Sectors’ Perception on Critical Relationship Factors in IS/IT Outsourcing: Analysis of Literature and a Delphi Examination. International Journal of Services Technology and Management, 17(1), 1-20.
- Swar, B., & Khan, G. F. (2012). Comparison of Hallyu with Hollywood and Bollywood Entertainment Industries: A Webometrics Analysis. Korea Journal of Information Society, September, 80- 99.
- Khan, G. F., Moon, J., Swar, B., Zo, H., & Rho, J. J. (2012). E-government Service Use Intentions in Afghanistan: Technology Adoption and the Digital Divide in a War-torn Country. Information Development, 28(4), 281-299.
- Khan, G. F., Moon, J., Park, H. W., Swar, B., & Rho, J. J. (2011). A Socio-Technical Perspective on E-government Issues in Developing Countries: A Scientometrics Approach. Scientometrics, 87(2), 267-287.
- Moon, J., Swar, B., Choe, Y., Chung, M, & Jung, G. (2010). Innovation in IT Outsourcing Relationships: Where is the Best Practice of IT Outsourcing in the Public Sector? Innovation: Organization & Management 12(2), 217-226.
- Swar, B., Kim, J., Lee, D., & Moon, J. (2009). Impact of Culture on Mobile Phone Service Adoption and Diffusion: A Cross-country Analysis. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Computer Science and Convergence Information Technology (ICCIT), IEEE, Seoul, Korea.
- Swar, B., Moon, J., Choe, Y. C., and Young, J. O. (2009). Determinants of Relationship Quality for IS/IT Outsourcing success in Public Sector: A Bilateral Perspective. Proceedings of the 15th Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), San Francisco, USA.
ISSM553 Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC)
ISSM538 Research Methods and Communications
ISAM522 Information Systems Audit II
Shaun Aghili CISSP-ISSMP, CISA, CIA, CCSA, CFSA, CGAP, CRMA, CFE, CMA (US)
Dr. Shaun Aghili, an award-winning management professor, is the lead faculty of Concordia University of Edmonton’s Master of Information Systems Assurance Management program, which is Canada’s only graduate-level program in information systems auditing.
With fifteen (15) professional designations to his name, Dr. Aghili is a certified management accountant (CMA), an internal auditor and risk assurance specialist for financial services and government sectors (CIA, CRMA, CCSA, CFSA, CGAP), a fraud examiner (CFE), an information systems auditor (CISA), and an information systems and cloud security professional (CISSP-ISSMP, CCSP). He also holds various blockchain-related certifications, such as Certified Blockchain Expert (CBE), Certified Blockchain Solutions Architect (CBSA), Certified Blockchain Security Professional (CBSP), and Certified Blockchain Project Manager (CBPM).
Dr. Aghili has authored over 90 published articles, book chapters, and conference proceedings, including his latest books titled Fraud Auditing Using CAATT: A Manual for Auditors and Forensic Accountants to Detect Organizational Fraud (2019) and The Auditor’s Guide to Blockchain Technology: Architecture, Use Cases, Security, and Assurance (2022). He has also been awarded a certificate of merit by the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) for “outstanding character and excellence in contributing to the literature for the advancement of management accounting and financial management.” Dr. Aghili’s current research focus is on the application of blockchain technology to various business use cases.
Dale Lindskog PhD, MISSM
Associate Professor, MISAM
Dale Lindskog holds a Masters degree in information systems security, and a PhD in philosophy. He has been teaching at Concordia since 2004, and has been faculty since 2007. He has published in many areas related to information security, with especial interest in network security and digitial forensics. He has also served as President, Grievance Officer, and Lead Negotiator for the Faculty Association.
MISSM, Concordia University College of Alberta
PhD, York University
Visiting Graduate Student, Oxford University
MA, York University
BA, University of Winnipeg
Dr. Lindskog holds a Masters degree in information systems security, and a PhD in philosophy. He has authored or co-authored 60 publications. Dr. Lindskog’s current projects are: the development of software to manage large numbers of virtual internetworks under the control of various users; and the development of software to coordinate and verify the processes of digital forensic acquisition, and especially the acquisition of evidence from computer memory.
Philosophy of Wittgenstein; Philosophy of logic and language; Network security; Digital forensics (see ISSAM Research Cluster)
Diagnosis and Dissolution: from Augustine’s picture to Wittgenstein’s picture theory, Verlag Peter Lang, 2007
Current Research Interests
Dr. Lindskog’s current projects are: the development of software to manage large numbers of virtual internetworks under the control of various users; and the exploration of means of maintaining privacy and/or anonymity on the Internet, including methods of making these means accessible to the non-technical individual.
- Manmeet Singh Gill, Dale Lindskog and Pavol Zavarsky, `Profiling
Network Traffic Behavior for the purpose of Anomaly-based Intrusion
Detection’, proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on
Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (IEEE
- Sarvjot Kang, Dale Lindskog and Hamman Samuel, `An Implementation of
Hierarchical Intrusion Detection Systems Using Snort and Federated
Databases’, IEEE TrustCom-18
- Manpreet Kaur, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky, `Integrating Intrusion
Response Funtionality into the MANET Specific Dynamic Intrusion
Detection Hierarchy Architecture’, proceedings of the 9th EAI
International Conference on Ad Hoc Networks (ADHOCNETS 2017)
- Monika Lnu, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, `Experimental Analysis of
Ransomware on Windows and Android Platforms: Evolution and
Characterization’, proceedings of the 11th International Conference on
Future Networks and Communications (FNC 2016)
- Jagjot Kaur, Dale Lindskog, `An Algorithm to Facilitate Intrusion
Response in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks’, proceedings of the 9th
International Conference on Security of Information and Networks (SIN
- Parul Khanna, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, `Experimental Analysis of
Tools Used for Doxing and Proposed New Transforms to Help Organizations
Protect against Doxing Attacks’, proceedings of the 2nd International
Workshop on Future Information Security, privacy and Forensics (FISP
- Saikrishna Yellanki, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl,
‘Customizing IETF RFC 6280 Geopriv for Compliance of Wi-Fi Positioning
System APIs with Privacy Laws’, proceedings of the 11th IEEE
International Workshop on Security, Trust, and Privacy for Software
Applications (STPSA 2016)
- Veerareddy Vaka, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky, `Enhancing of
Biometric Authentication with Pass Strings and Cryptographic Checksums’,
proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Digital Forensics and
Security (ISDFS 2016)
- Rohit Beniwal, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, `Study of Compliance of
Apples Location Based APIs with Recommendations of the IETF Geopriv’,
proceedings of the 10th International Conference for Internet Technology
and Secured Transactions (ICITST 2015)
- Vimal Kumar SathiyaBalan, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog and Sergey
Butakov, `Study of Applicability of Chinese Remainder Theorem based Group
Key Management for Cloud Environment’, proceedings of the 10th
International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions
- Lu Shi, Sergey Butakov, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, E. Storozhenko,
`Applicability of Probablistic Data Structures for Filtering Tasks in Data
Loss Prevention Systems’, proceedings of the IEEE 29th International
Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops
- Tamer Nagy, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky, `Analytic Comparison between
Live Memory Analysis and Memory Image Analysis in Android Environment’,
proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Computer Information
Systems (ICCIS 2015)
- Ting Zhang, Dale Lindskog, `Full Function Firewalls and Fast Routing
Query on MANETs’, Journal of Internet Technology and Secured Transactions
(JITST), Volume 3, Issues 1/2, ISSN 2046-3723
- Waqar Anwar, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky and Ron Ruhl, `An Alternate
Secure Element Access Control for NFC Enabled Android Smartphones’
International Journal for Information Security Research (IJISR), Volume 3
Issues 1/2, ISSN 2042-4639
- Erez Gilady, Dale Lindskog, Shaun Aghili, `Intent Biometrics: An
Enhanced Form of Multimodal Biometric Systems’, proceedings of the 2014
28th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and
Applications (WAINA 2014)
- Azin Moradmand Badie, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `Responding to Intrusions
in Mobile Ad hoc Networks’, proceedings of the 2013 World Congress on
Internet Security (WorldCIS 2013)
- Ting Zhang, Dale Lindskog, `Full Function Firewalls on MANETs’,
proceedings of the 2013 World Congress on Internet Security, WorldCIS
- Love Adedayo, Sergey Butakov, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `E-Government Web
services and Security of Personally Identifiable Information in Developing
Nations: A Case of Some Nigerian Embassies’, proceedings of the 8th
International Conference for Information Science and Technology (ICIST
- Chikaodili Ekechukwu, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `A Notary Extension for
the Online Certificate Status Protocol’, proceedings of the 2013 ASE/IEEE
International Conference on Privacy, Security, Risk and Trust (PASSAT
- Jaspreet Singh, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `GSM OTA SIM Cloning Attack and
Cloning Resistance in EAP-SIM and USIM’, PASSAT 2013
- Sami Al-Shaheri, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, `A forensic
study of the effectiveness of selected anti-virus products against SSDT
hooking rootkits’, proceedings of the 2013 Conference on Digital
Forensics, Security and Law (ADFSL 2013)
- Muhammad Umair Saeed, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky and Ron Ruhl, `Two
Techniques for Detecting Packed Portable Executable Files’ proceedings of
the 2013 International Conference on Information Society (i-Society 2013)
- Waqar Anwar, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky and Ron Ruhl,`Redesigning
Secure Element Access Control for NFC Enabled Android Smartphones using
Mobile Trusted Computing’, i-Society 2013
- Oludele Ogundele, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `Fraud
Reduction on EMV Payment Cards by the Implementation of Stringent Security
Features’, International Journal of Intelligent Computing Research
(IJICR), Volume 3, Issues 1 and 2
- Pallavi Patil, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `Fault Tree
Analysis of Accidental Insider Security Events’, proceedings of the 2012
ASE International Conference on Cyber Security (ASE 2012)
- Eyad Bogari, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `An Investigative
Analysis of the Security Weaknesses in the Evolution of RFID Enabled
Passport’ International Journal of Internet Technology and Secured
Transactions (IJITST), ISSN 1748-569X (Print), ISSN: 1748 – 5703 (Online)
- Kwaku Kyei, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `A Review and
Comparative Study of Digital Forensic Investigation Models’, proceedings
of the 2012 International Conference on Digital Forensics and Cybercrime
- Oludele Ogundele, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `The
Implementation of a Full EMV Smartcard for a Point-of-Sale Transaction and
its Impact on the PCI DSS’, proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International
Conference on Information Privacy, Security, Risk and Trust (PASSAT 2012)
- Henry Nnoli, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky, Shaun Aghili, Ron Ruhl, `The
Governance of Corporate Forensics using COBIT, NIST and Increased
Automated Forensic Approaches’, PASSAT 2012
- Kashif Syed, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, Shaun Aghili,
`Proposed Control Procedure to Mitigate the Risks of Strategic Information
Outflow in the Recruitment Process’, proceedings of the 9th International
Conference on Trust, Privacy & Security in Digital Business (TrustBus
- Ahmed Alasiri, Muteb Alzaidi, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl,
Shafi Alassmi, `Comparative Analysis of Operational Malware Dynamic Link
Library (DLL) Injection: Live Response vs Memory Image’, International
Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science (IJITCS), Vol 4,
- Shafi Alassmi, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, Ahmed Alasiri,
Muteb Alzaidi, `An Analysis of the Effectiveness of Black-Box Web
Application Scanners in Detection of Stored XSSI Vulnerabilities’, ICCCSIM
- Iain Kyte, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `Enhanced
Side-channel Analysis Method to Detect Hardware Virtualization Based
Rootkits’, proceedings of the 2012 World Congress on Internet Security
- Eyad Bogari, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `An Analysis of
Security Weaknesses in the Evolution of RFID Enabled Passport’, WorldCIS
- Mirza Baig, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `A Study of Evasion
of Packed PE from Static Detection’, WorldCIS 2012
- Adetorera Sogbean, Pavol Zavarsky, Ayodele Ibidapo, Dale Lindskog, Ron
Ruhl, `Collusion Threat Profile analysis: Review and Analysis of MERIT
Model and its Studies’, WorldCIS 2012
- Oludele Ogundele, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `The
Implementation of a full EMV Smartcard for a Point-of-Sale Transaction’,
- Prince Onabajo, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `The Failure of
Civil Litigation in Data Storage Environment’, WorldCIS 2012
- Ikenna Cyril Nwafor, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `A COBIT
and NIST-Based Conceptual Framework for Enterprise User Account Lifecycle
Management’, WorldCIS 2012
- Fares N. Almari, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, Amer Aljaedi,
`Performance Analysis of Oracle Database in Virtual Environment’,
proceedings of the 26th (2012) IEEE International Conference on Advanced
Information Networking and Applications
- Harpreet Kohli, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, `An Enhanced
Threat Identification Approach For Collusion Threats’, proceedings of the
2011 International Workshop on Security Measurement and Metric (MetriSec
- Emmanuel Ibidokun, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `Performance
Evaluation of Oracle VM Server Virtualization Software in 64 bit Linux
Environment’, MetriSec 2011
- Amer Aljaedi, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Fares Almari,
`Comparative Analysis of Volatile Memory Forensics: Live Response vs.
Memory Imaging’, proceedings of the 2011 IEEE International Conference on
Information Privacy, Security, Risk and Trust (PASSAT 2011)
- Boyan Chen, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `A Study of the
Effectiveness of CSRF Guard’, PASSAT 2011
- Siew Yong, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, Pavol Zavarsky, `Risk Mitigation
Strategies for Mobile Wi-Fi Robot Toys from Online Pedophiles’, PASSAT
- Ayodele Ibidapo, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `An Analysis of
CVSS v2 Environmental Scoring’, IEEE PASSAT 2011
- Yung-Yu Chang, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `Trend Analysis
of the CVE for Software Vulnerability Management’, IEEE PASSAT 2011
- Nidal Khoury, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `An Analysis of
Black-Box Web Application Security Scanners against Stored SQL Injection’,
- David C. Edwards, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, Shaun Aghili
`eGovernment System Security Model (eGSSM) A Multidimensional, Risk Based
Approach to eGovernment’, PASSAT 2011
- Emmanuel Ibidokun, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, `Performance
Evaluation of Oracle VM Server Virtualization Software 64 bit Linux
Environment’, PASSAT 2011
- Andrew Buhr, Dale Lindskog, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, `Media Access
Control Address Spoofing Attacks against Port Security’, proceedings of the
5th USENIX Workshop on Offensive Technologies
- Nidal Khoury, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, `Testing and
Assessing Web Vulnerability Scanners for Persistent SQL Injection Attacks’,
proceedings of the First International Workshop on Security and Privacy in
- Assad Ali, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog and Ron Ruhl, `A Software
Application to Analyze the Effects of Temporal and Environmental Metrics on
Overall CVSS v2 Score’, proceedings of the 2011 World Congress on Internet
- Assad Ali, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog and Ron Ruhl, `Analysis of the
Effects of Temporal and Environmental Metrics on Overall CVSS v2 Score’,
International Journal for Information Security Research (IJISR), ISSN:
20424639, Volume 1, Issue 4, 2011
- Caroline Ngeno, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl: `User’s
Perspective: Privacy and Security of Information on Social Networks’,
proceedings of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Social Computing
- Ebenezer Sackey, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, Pavol Zavarsky: `A Framework
for Home Wireless Network Security Education’, SocialCom 2010
- Collins Umana, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, Oluwatoyin Gloria
Ake-Johnson: `Comparative Analysis of ccTLD Security Policies’, SocialCom
- Omotayo T. Ogundare, Dale Lindskog, Ron Ruhl, Pavol Zavarsky, `An
Analysis of High Availability Solutions within the VMware Infrastructure
Architecture’, proceedings of the International Conference on Information
Security and Privacy 2010 (ISP-10)
- Ayonote Clement, Pavol Zavarsky, Dale Lindskog: `Analysis of the GMPLS
Control Plane Security’, proceedings of the 2009 IEEE Conference on
Computational Science and Engineering (CSE 2009)
- Samuel Oladapo, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog, Andy Igonor:
`Managing Risk of IT Security Outsourcing in the Decision-Making Stage’,
- Xiaoli Lin, Pavol Zavarsky, Ron Ruhl, Dale Lindskog: `Threat Modeling for
CSRF Attacks’, CSE 2009
- Dale Lindskog, Diagnosis and Dissolution: from Augustine’s picture to
Wittgenstein’s picture theory, Verlag Peter Lang, 2007
- Dale Lindskog, `The Significance of Ramsey’s Criticism for the Tractatus
Doctrine of Isomorphism’, The British Tradition in Twentieth-Century
Philosophy, J. Hintikka and K. Puhl, (eds), 1994
ISSM523 Network Security
ISSM538 Research Methods and Communications
Sessional Instructors/Subject Matter Experts
Shawn Thompson MISSM, CISSP
Administrative Support, Faculty of Management
Shawn teaches Infosec/cybersecurity and business with the Mihalcheon School of Management in the graduate and undergraduate programs. He is also faculty’s program liaison. Shawn helped create the emphasis in cybersecurity for the Bachelor of Management degree. He also the co-creator of CUE’s Infosec Seminar Series that hosts guest speakers every month on topics and issues in cybersecurity.
A small businessman, Shawn entered the IT/Infosec field in 1995 after earning a diploma in computer maintenance technology. Operating as an independent consultant, he provided IT and Infosec services to SMOs in various industries including construction, education, finance, mental health, social services, hospitality, and others in the Edmonton area for 25 years.
In recent years, Shawn has realized his passion for teaching, shifting his focus from consulting to teaching and using his knowledge and skills to benefit the university and its students.
As a lifelong learner, Shawn earned a BA in political science and history to broaden his worldview and enhance his critical thinking skills before earning his Master of Information Systems Security Management to improve his understanding and knowledge in the field of Information Security. Additionally, Shawn holds numerous certifications and continues to consume knowledge to ensure his personal and professional growth. His 40 years of experience in business and education has shown Shawn that it is not enough to just consume knowledge; you must understand how to apply your knowledge and effectively share your knowledge with others to help create a better, safer, and more secure world.
Shawn’s area of research interest is in national cybersecurity strategies and cyberwar.
Benoit Desforges, MISSM, M.Sc., CISSP, CISA, CEH, CERT-CSIH
Sessional Instructor, MISSM
CISSP, CSH, CISA, MISSM (Concordia University of Edmonton), M.Sc. in Information Systems and Networks (Ecole Centrale d’Electronique, Paris). Benoit brings more than 15 years of experience in infosec and IT auditing to his teaching. Currently Benoit provides cybersecurity solutions to a broad range of clients as an advisor for Triplecheck Consulting.
Nji Lionel Nji MISSM, CISSP
Sessional Instructor, Business Management
CISSP, CDPSE, MISSM (Concordia University of Edmonton), MPhyPhil (University of Tromso, Norway), BSc in Physics and Computer Science. Nji brings over 15 years of experience in infosec to his teaching and is currently Director of Compliance Support at the Alberta Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
Prashant CISSP, GCIH, COBIT, ITIL, ISP
Sessional Instructor, MISSM
Prashant has a Bachelors and Masters in IT from India and 14 years of IT experience in Canada across various industry verticals. He works as a Senior Cyber Security Advisor for a Fortune 500. He calls himself a geek with a purpose. He likes to support the budding talent, share his experience and continue to progress the Cyber Security discipline in industry, academia and research fields. He considers himself a problem solver in solving interesting IT problems and not just Cyber Security.
He has numerous research papers in the field of Quantum Computing, Youtube channel and videos on Quantum Research. He has presented in multiple IT and Security conferences over the years such as CIPS, ISACA Edmonton, B-Sides Edmonton, B-Sides Calgary, Public Safety Canada ICS Symposium among others. He also has a passion for teaching Cyber Security courses in NAIT and Concordia University of Edmonton to Bachelors and Master of Information Security Management students.
He likes to play chess, hike and camp in the mountains alone and ponder over the purpose of life and nature.
Pavol Zavarsky PhD
Dr. Pavol Zavarsky works as a Professor and Director of Research at the Department of Information Systems Security and Assurance Management at Concordia University of Edmonton in Canada.
He received his PhD from Tokyo Institute of Technology. After his graduation, he held academic positions at Tokyo Institute of Technology and then, for a period of eight years, at Nagaoka University of Technology. Dr. Zavarsky has more than eleven years of full-time experience in working on various information security and assurance projects.
Dr. Zavarsky is a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) and Certified Information System Auditor (CISA). Dr. Zavarsky also serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) of the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium (ISC)2.
Dr. Zavarsky authored/coauthored more than one hundred peer reviewed research papers in the areas of his research interests.
See also ISSAM Research Cluster.
Ron Ruhl MBA, CISSP
Ron has worked for over 25 years in universities and for 15 years in a variety of management roles in the public and private sectors. Ron holds an MBA and has several certifications related to security including the CGEIT, CISM, CISA and CISSP.
Prof. Ruhl is interested in payment cards security, security of mobile payments, cell phone security, biometrics and occasionally in big data and outsourcing security.
Information systems security and occasionally systems audit; applied cryptography as it relates to telecommunications and smart cards/payment cards but we as a department support all information security areas of research. See ISSAM Research Cluster.
Our projects centre around supporting the research interests of students in order to ensure they produce research. Invariably with such help this leads to joint research.
There are approximately 40 joint articles and they are on our website organized by graduation year.