Quick links

Manage your health insurance

Cost for medical treatments are extremely high in Canada, so always make sure that you are adequately covered by health insurance.

International students are required by Concordia University of Edmonton to have medical insurance coverage while travelling to and residing in Canada.

Concordia University of Edmonton is pleased to offer two types of health coverage for international students.

For students in programs longer than one year:

International students who are enrolled in programs longer than one year will be covered by both the Alberta Health Insurance and the Concordia University of Edmonton Students’ Association (CSA) health insurance.

Alberta Health Care is a basic health insurance plan provided at no charge by the government for Alberta residents. International students who intend to reside in Alberta for at least 12 consecutive months qualify as residents and must register for coverage within three months after arriving in Alberta. To register for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan, you need to visit a registry office. The closest one is located at the Edmonton City Centre Mall. To register, you will need your passport, study permit and a proof of address. To benefit from the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP), you need to be over 18 years old. If you are under 18, you will need to provide a proof of guardianship.

Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan provides some coverage, but additional insurance coverage with the CSA Student Benefit Plan will ensure that you won’t be caught with unexpected medical expenses. The AHCIP covers the cost of doctor visits, lab testing and hospital stays. It does not cover prescription medicines or eye exams. For more information on AHCIP coverage, please contact Alberta Health.

Which covers what?

Alberta Health Care
Insurance Plan
CSA Health and Dental Plan
(for students attending CUE for 1 year or more)
Medically necessary physician and some specific dental and oral surgical health services.

• Examinations
• Medically required surgery
• Standard Ward Hospitalization

Full list available here.
• Ambulance
• Prescription Drugs
• Vision
• Health Practitioners
• Medical Equipment & Supplies
• Dental Accident
• Dental Coverage
• Accidental Death & Dismemberment
• Travel Insurance

More information available here.

For students in programs of less than one year:

Visa-holding students who intend to study at Concordia University of Edmonton for less than 12 consecutive months are not eligible for Alberta Health Care and must subscribe to the mandatory International Student Medical Insurance Program, at a cost of $CAN 250 per semester.

The International Student Medical Program covers hospitalization and medical services for emergencies due to sickness or injury. This plan does not cover any pre-existing health issues.

What to do if I’m feeling sick?

Health Link – Health Advice 811 (Non-Emergencies)

Health Link provides residents of Alberta with health information. Registered nurses are available 24-hours a day over the phone to provide advice on health-related questions or medical problems. This is a good first step to determine if you should visit a doctor. Telephone 811 or go to www.healthlinkalberta.ca

Walk-in Clinics / Medicentres (Non-Emergencies)

If you are feeling ill and need to speak with a doctor, you may want to go to a walk-in clinic. For a complete list of walk-in clinics in the Edmonton area, check: MEDICENTRES

The walk-in clinics that are close to Concordia University of Edmonton are:

(Please note that CUE is not affiliated with any clinic or hospital)

Hospital Emergency

If you are seriously ill or injured and require immediate medical attention, go directly to one of Edmonton’s four Hospital Emergency Rooms, or call 911 and ask for an ambulance. An ambulance will take you to the nearest hospital. The nearest emergency room to Concordia University of Edmonton is at the Royal Alexandra Hospital at 10240 Kingsway Avenue, a 10-minute drive west on 112th Avenue. You should NOT go to a hospital for non-emergency assistance. Emergency services at local hospitals are only for urgent cases. If you go there with a non-emergency, you can wait many hours before a doctor will see you.


  • Take your health insurance card with you
  • Tell the doctor if you have any medical conditions
  • Tell the doctor if you are allergic to any medications
  • Take a friend to help you speak English, or find a doctor who speaks your language on the Primary Care Network