Quick links

Post-Graduation Work Permits

International students who plan to stay and work temporarily in Canada after the completion of their program, may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).


You may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if you graduated from a
designated learning institution (DLI) and want to stay in Canada temporarily to work.

Graduation from a DLI doesn’t automatically make you eligible for a PGWP.

You must also have

  • completed a study program
    – at a designated learning institution
    – that was at least 8 months long and
    – that led to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program
    – This doesn’t include your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took an
    approved leave from your studies.

Exceptions to the eligibility requirements

You aren’t eligible for a PGWP if you

  • have a study permit that expired more than 180 days before you applied
  • already received a PGWP
  • took general interest or self-improvement courses
  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada
  • had received funding from Global Affairs Canada
  • completed the major part of a study program through distance learning (online courses, e-learning or correspondence)

How to Apply from within Canada

You have 180 days after CUE issues your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). Notification that you have completed your program will come from the Registrar’s Office. 

Your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days. Your study permit becomes invalid 90 days after your Letter of Completion first becomes available or on the expiry date listed on your permit, whichever comes first. Don’t let your status expire while you wait for your marks.

If your study permit will expire before you get your marks, you have 2 options. You can

Note: Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is not responsible for ensuring students meet the eligibility requirements for the PGWP. 

You will need to apply separately for a new Temporary Visitor Visa and can do so only after
your post-graduation work permit has been approved. This means you will need to first apply for the permit and wait for approval and then apply for a new TRV.

Supporting documents from CUE 

Before you can apply for a PGWP, you need

  • an official letter from CUE that confirms you’ve completed your study program
  • an official transcript, or a copy of your transcript from Online Services 

At CUE, a Completion Letter is only issued to students who have applied for graduation and have successfully completed all program requirements. Ensure you contact the Registrar’s Office after you complete your program to request your Completion Letter. 

At CUE, final transcripts are only issued after a program audit has been completed and your credential has been conferred.

Every student is responsible for ensuring they maintain a full-time course load. To check how many courses you need in order to be considered full-time in your program please contact the Registrar’s Office

If your passport expires before your PGWP

Make sure your passport is valid for the entire length of time you should be eligible for. If your passport expires earlier, IRCC will only issue you a PGWP that’s valid until your passport

Working While Applying for a PGWP 

Once you receive confirmation from the Registrar’s Office that you have completed your program, you must stop working immediately. 

After you have submitted your application, you can work full-time until IRCC decides on your work permit application if you: 

  • had a valid study permit when you submitted your application
  • completed your study program
  • were eligible to work off campus without a work permit while studying and you didn’t work more hours than you were allowed to

How to Apply from Outside Canada

Please contact the International Office for assistance.

Travelling outside of Canada

If you do not have a valid eTA or TRV when you return to Canada, you may not be able to enter, even if you have a valid post-graduation work permit.

If you leave and re-enter Canada after applying for your post-graduation work permit, you can still work full-time while you wait for a decision.

*Attention: international students returning to Canada will need to have either a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) for entry into Canada.

Spouses or common-law partners
If your post-graduation work permit application is approved, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit.

Useful Links

Fore more information about the post-graduation work permit please visit, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html

To check if you are eligible to apply for the post-graduation work permit please visit, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html.

Work in Canada after you graduate: After you apply please visit,