International students who have been authorized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to work on and/or off campus, must ensure they meet eligibility requirements to work in Canada.
Please use the checklist below to determine if you can work on- or off-campus:
- your study permit states that you’re allowed to work on campus
- you are a full-time student
- you have a valid study permit and
- you have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- your study permit states that you’re allowed to work on- or off-campus
- you’re a full-time student
- your study program
- is at least 6 months long and
- leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
- you’ve started studying
- you have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
You cannot work off-campus if the following applies to you,
- your study permit does not list a condition that says you’re allowed to work off-campus,
- you have not begun your studies,
- you are not studying full-time (except if you are in your last semester),
- your study permit has expired,
- you’re on an authorized leave from your studies,
- you’re switching schools and aren’t currently studying,
- you are only enrolled in general interest courses (such as Open Studies)
- you are only enrolled in language training programs (such as English for Academic Programs)
- you are enrolled in non-credit courses,
If you’re a part-time student
You can work off campus only if:
- you meet all of the requirements above and
- you’re only studying part-time, instead of full-time, because:
- you’re in the last semester of your study program and you don’t need a full course load to complete your program and
- you were a full-time student in your program in Canada, up until your last semester
Every student is responsible for ensuring they maintain a full-time course load. If you are unsure of how many courses you need to be considered full-time in your program please contact the Registrar’s Office.
For more information about working on-campus please visit, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-on-campus.html.
For more information about working off-campus please visit, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html