Quick links

Working in Canada

International students who have been authorized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to work on and/or off campus, must ensure they meet eligibility requirements to work in Canada. 

Please use the checklist below to determine if you can work on- or off-campus:

On-campus work,

  • your study permit states that you’re allowed to work on campus
  • you are a full-time student
  • you have a valid study permit and
  • you have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Off-campus work,

  • your study permit states that you’re allowed to work on- or off-campus
  • you’re a full-time student 
  • your study program
    • is at least 6 months long and
    • leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • you’ve started studying
  • you have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

You cannot work off-campus if the following applies to you,

  • your study permit does not list a condition that says you’re allowed to work off-campus,
  • you have not begun your studies,
  • you are not studying full-time (except if you are in your last semester),
  • your study permit has expired,
  • you’re on an authorized leave from your studies,
  • you’re switching schools and aren’t currently studying,
  • you are only enrolled in general interest courses (such as Open Studies)
  • you are only enrolled in language training programs (such as English for Academic Programs)
  • you are enrolled in non-credit courses,

If you’re a part-time student

You can work off campus only if:

  • you meet all of the requirements above and 
  • you’re only studying part-time, instead of full-time, because:
    • you’re in the last semester of your study program and you don’t need a full course load to complete your program and
    • you were a full-time student in your program in Canada, up until your last semester

Every student is responsible for ensuring they maintain a full-time course load. If you are unsure of how many courses you need to be considered full-time in your program please contact the Registrar’s Office

Useful Links:

For more information about working on-campus please visit, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-on-campus.html.

For more information about working off-campus please visit, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html