Quick links

Study Permit Extensions

Applying for a Study Permit Extension 

If your study permit will expire before you have completed your studies, you can apply to extend your study permit. You can read about what is required to extend your study permit and view current processing times on IRCC’s website. 

In most cases, you will be required to apply online unless you receive special permission to apply on paper. Please ensure to read the application instruction guide for applying online very carefully. There are important documents required with your application, as detailed in IRCC’s document checklist. 

Students are able to request the following documents from the university when applying for a study permit extension: 

  • IRCC Letter for Continuing Students – can be requested via email to admits@concordia.ab.ca. The letter will then be emailed to you.
  • Verification of Enrolment (VOE) – can be requested via your Online Services portal.

Requesting a VOE 

  • Login to your Online Services portal 
  • Click the Requests Tab 
  • Click Verification of Enrolment 
  • Click Send to Email (with attention to yourself)
  • Select your current term and any future terms you are registered in
  • Do not request fees and tuition for future terms to be included (you will demonstrate proof of funds with other documents)
  • Official Transcripts – transcripts can be requested through your Online Services portal or via email to registrar@concordia.ab.ca. If you transferred from another learning institution and it is your first semester at CUE, you will need to request your transcript from your previous learning institution. 

Please note, it’s important to submit the application before your current study permit expires. We recommend students consider submitting their study permit extension application approximately 3 months before the expiry date of their current study permit. 

Applying for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from within Canada 

Is your TRV expiring at the same time as your original study permit? You will need to apply separately for a new TRV and can do so only after your online study permit extension application has been approved. This means you will need to first apply for your study permit extension and then apply for a new TRV. 

You may apply for your visitor visa before your study permit arrives in the mail, you will need to provide proof that your application has been approved, such as:

  • a screenshot of your online approval
  • your application number
  • any other document that proves you have a valid and approved study or work permit extension

For steps on how to apply for a new visitor visa see here

Please note, individuals with an eTA are automatically issued a new eTA (if their current one has expired) once approved for their study permit extension. The eTA is electronically linked to the individual’s passport.

Traveling after Submitting a Study Permit Extension Application

You may be able to re-enter Canada as an international student if you have any of the following:

  • a valid study permit
  • approval for a study permit or study permit extension

You must also meet all the following criteria:

Attention:If you applied to extend your study permit but have not been approved, you won’t be able to enter Canada.

Attention: international students returning to Canada will need to have either a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) for entry into Canada. 

For more information please visit here