Quick links

Co-op Work Permits

A co-op work permit allows a study permit holder to take part in work integrated learning (WIL) if it is a mandatory part of their academic program. The co-op work permit is separate from the work authorization which may appear on your study permit.

Note – work integrated learning refers to any type of work that is a mandatory part of a students’ program of study. This may be in the form of a practicum, internship, field placement, co-op placement, etc. 

Here is a list of programs that require international students to have a co-op work permit:

  • Bachelor of Arts Psychology (Applied Emphasis)
  • Bachelor of Education (After Degree) 
  • Bachelor of Management 
  • Bachelor of Management & Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (Dual Degree)
  • Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
  • Master of Science in Information Technology
  • Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) in Clinical Psychology

Eligibility Requirements for the Co-op Work Permit: 

  • have a valid study permit,
  • be enrolled in a program that has a required work integrated learning component that totals 50% or less of your study program,
  • have a letter from CUE which confirms that students in your program need to complete a work placement to get their certificate, diploma or degree (please see section on How to Apply for instructions)

How to Apply:

  • CUE students will be required to apply within Canada.
  • Students must apply for their co-op work permit approximately 6 months in advance of their placement start date. Failure to do so could result in your placement being rescheduled for a later date.
  1. Enroll into the applicable course in advance through Online Services – pay attention to any prerequisites or special permissions.
  2. Only after you have enrolled into the course, request a co-op work permit supporting letter from the Registrar’s Office by email to registrar@concordia.ab.ca – provide your full name, student id number, program name and explanation of your request
  3. Once you have your supporting documentation, apply for the Co-op Work Permit online 
  4. Application fee: no cost 
  5. For questions, seek assistance from the International Office by email: international@concordia.ab.ca 

Attention: IRCC Temporary Policy Change

From November 15, 2022, to December 31, 2023, some students may not need to apply for a
co-op work permit if meeting specific eligibility criteria set by Immigration, Refugees and
Citizenship Canada
. To discuss eligibility please contact the International Office at international@concordia.ab.ca. Students who do not meet all criteria of the temporary
policy change MUST have a co-op work permit prior to the start of their work integrated
learning experience.

To learn more about co-op work permits, please visit the website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)