Quick links

Study Permits

Study permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and they allow students to study in Canada. 

Immigration Notice:

As of June 27, 2023, IRCC announced a temporary public policy allowing eligible foreign workers to study without a study permit. Learn more here.


Applying for a Study Permit 

If you will be studying in Canada for more than 6 months, you will require a study permit for the duration of your studies in Canada. 

Before you apply for a study permit, you will need: 

  • An IRCC Letter of Acceptance from CUE 
  • A valid passport or travel document 
  • Proof that you can support yourself and any family members who will come with you to Canada

Please note, you will also need to provide additional documentation as required by your Visa Application Centre. Check the visa office instructions for your country or region for local requirements.

You can read about what is required when applying for a study permit and view current processing times on IRCC’s website. 

In most cases, you are recommended to apply online. Please ensure to read the application instruction guide for applying online very carefully. There are important documents required with your application, as detailed in IRCC’s document checklist

Do you live in China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal or Vietnam? You might be able to get your study permit faster by applying online through the Student Direct Stream.


Biometrics and Medical Exams 

Most study permit applicants are required to provide Biometrics as part of their application. After you have submitted your study permit application and paid the biometrics fee, you will receive instructions on how to give your biometrics.

You may also be required to complete a medical exam. You can complete your medical exam before or after you apply for your study permit. 


Entering Canada 

Receiving a study permit approval does not allow you to enter Canada. You may also need either a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If IRCC approves your study permit, they will issue a TRV or eTA automatically.  Most students entering Canada will need to travel with their Letter of Introduction (the letter confirming your study permit has been approved) and a valid eTA or TRV.


Complying with the Conditions of your Study Permit 

Please ensure you have reviewed your study permit and are familiar with the expiry date and any remarks or conditions on your study permit. In order to comply with the requirements of their study permit, international students must ensure to: 

  • actively pursue studies and make academic progress,
  • maintain a full-time academic course load in each semester if you plan to work and/or apply for the post-graduation work permit (PGWP), 

Note: this doesn’t include your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took an approved leave from your studies.

  • maintain the eligibility requirements to work if you are authorized to do so and stop working if you no longer meet the eligibility requirements.