Founded in 1921 within the friendly Highlands neighbourhood, Concordia University of Edmonton’s campus overlooks the beautiful North Saskatchewan River Valley and is east of downtown. Edmonton is the capital city of Alberta, Canada. Its metro area is home to 1.1 million people.
Fun facts about Edmonton
- Edmonton is the fifth largest city in Canada and the capital city of the province of Alberta. We are one of the youngest and fastest-growing cities in the country.
- Edmonton is home to the largest shopping mall in North America
- Edmonton’s River Valley is 22 times the size of New York’s Central Park.
- On average Edmonton receives 2,299 hours of bright sunshine per year and is one of Canada’s sunniest cities. During the summer, Edmonton can have up to 17 hours of daylight!
- In the wintertime, the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) can be seen on a regular basis.
For a great coffee shop near campus, walk a few blocks east to the Mandolin Books & Coffee Co. You can also find coffee shops and restaurants in the Old Strathcona area, or wander through the small art galleries along 124th Street. Edmonton also has the largest shopping center in North America, West Edmonton Mall. The Mall covers 8 city blocks with over 800 stores as well as an amusement park, a waterpark, mini-golf courses, and a movie theatre.