As a student, you will be taking classes. And doing assignments and taking tests. And working part-time. And socializing with friends. And going to the gym. And attending international student events. And attending university-wide events. And keeping in touch with family. And making new friends. Whew! That’s a lot!
Avoid stress with effective time management!
Get in touch with us at the Student Success Center (across from the CUE Bookstore) if you feel like you are not performing to the best of your ability, academically or otherwise.
Effective time management skills can improve your academic performance while preserving your sanity while you live the busy life of an international student. Before you come to Canada, think about how you are going to schedule and manage your time. Some students like Google calendar or iCalendar, some prefer time management apps and some prefer the good old notebook. Whatever method you use, make sure it works for YOU!
HOW DO I MAXIMIZE MY EFFICIENCY?
- Start by putting your class times into your schedule (remember to include travel time)
- Put in your exam and test timings as soon as you know them so that you don’t miss any deadlines (they are included in the syllabus that you will receive on the first day of class)
- Make note of important dates and deadlines (eg. add/drop date)
- Then put in any part-time work that you may have
- Add in the international student events and sessions
- Add in the university-wide events and sessions
- Schedule time for physical activity at least 4 times a week (make sure check out the gym on campus)
- Schedule time to talk to your family and friends back home
- Schedule time to socialize with your new friends in Canada
- Schedule time to take care of yourself (eg. Enough time to sleep, shower, meditate etc)
- Schedule a day off for yourself – no study, no work, no household chores. Just a day to relax, unwind and recharge.
The more proactive you are about time management, the more successful you will be as a student.
Use whichever method works best for you, update your schedule as often as you need and be flexible. We can handle stress and anxiety by planning well in advance!