Quick links

Prepare for your travel to Canada

Once you receive your study permit, please go ahead and book your travel to Canada as soon as possible.

Most students choose to come to Canada about a week before their classes start, so that they have time to get over jet-lag and transition to a new place before University begins. If you decide to fly in early, please make sure your accommodations are ready for you on the date you arrive. If you choose not to come early, please make sure you book your tickets so that you can attend the New Student Orientation.

When you fly in to Canada, you will have to pass through immigration at the first airport (point of entry) through which you enter Canada. Please make sure all the following documents are in your carry-on bag in case immigration asks for it:


 Passport

 Temporary resident visa (TRV) in your passport, or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) number approval for non United States citizens

 Letter of Introduction for your study permit issued to you by a Canadian visa office

 Letter of Acceptance from Concordia University of Edmonton

 Vaccination certificates (if required)

Proof of guardianship (If you are under the of 18)

 Immigration Declaration (will be given to you on your flight and must be filled out before you land)- some airports in Canada are introducing new online version of immigration declaration you fill in once you land on a machine in front of the immigration officer – make sure you carry a pen with you!)

We recommend you also have the following documents in your carry-on luggage readily available for review.

 Proof of tuition payment from Quest and proof of sufficient funds for at least your first year
 Course Registration documents
 Any other student paperwork (e.g scholarship approval) you have received from Concordia University of Edmonton
 Address of where you will be living/ Proof of accommodation
 Copy of your English language proficiency scores (bring a copy even if you’ve already mailed it to us)
 Official academic transcripts from past education (bring originals even if you’ve already mailed them to us)
 Other government-issued photo identification cards from your country
 Official English or French translations of birth and/or marriage certificates if you are coming to Canada with your spouse/common-law partner and/or dependent children
 Other personal documents

Please note that this is not an exhaustive list. Please check the cic.gc.ca website for more details.

When packing, make sure to carry a set of traditional clothes from your country and a flag of your country. We have a large number of cultural events on campus and you will get to showcase your culture on multiple occasions through the year.

It is a good idea to keep two sets of clothes in your carry-on luggage in case your luggage gets lost or misplaced. Please find out about the luggage limits for your airline ahead of time. Also, please go through the list of restricted/illegal products and make sure you do not accidentally pack them into your luggage (e.g. Airlines do not allow liquids or sharp objects to be packed in the carry-on luggage. Canada does not allow plants or meat products into the country). Please make sure you are aware of what you can and cannot carry by reading the regulations on your airline website and Canada customs and immigration website.

If you are carrying electronics with you, please make sure the plug points are compatible with the plug points used in Canada. In Canada, appliances use 120 volts with plug type B. Plugging an appliance into an incorrect voltage outlet can cause an electrical fire. Some multi-voltage appliance models can be adjusted to match the proper current. If not, a “transformer” can be purchased at any major electronics retailer to do the conversion.

The type and amount of warm clothing you carry with you will depend on which semester you plan on starting your Canadian journey. Canada has some of the world’s best quality in winter wear so it might be wise to buy your winter gear in Canada. Please do carry hoodies/sweaters/warm caps to help you through your first days, before you are able to purchase additional winter wear.

Please make sure you carry enough cash to get through at least the first week in Canada in case it takes you a little longer than expected to open a bank account. Please note that most accommodations will require a deposit equal to one month’s rent, so make sure to factor that in when you calculate. All purchases in Alberta are charged a 5% GST so the price you pay will be slightly higher than the printed price in some cases. It is a good idea to go to the websites of grocery stores and restaurants/fast food chains to get an idea of how much things cost in Canada. This link will give you an approximate idea of how much living in Edmonton will cost you: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Canada Please note these figures are only representative and can fluctuate.

Please note these figures are only representative and can fluctuate.

The transit system usually only accepts exact change. You can exchange you Canadian dollars for change (coins) at the airport money exchanges or the change machines at the airport. Transit passes are available in the University Bookstore.