Quick links

Apply for your study permit

Hooray! You’ve received your letter from Concordia University of Edmonton and now you can go ahead and apply for your study permit! Please make sure to apply for your study permit as soon as you receive the letter from us to ensure that you receive it on time.

Please go to www.cic.gc.ca for country-specific information on how to apply.

Few points to remember:

  • You will be issued two documents: a study permit and a temporary resident visa (TRV). Please note that not all countries require TRV, so check Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.
    The study permit is a page independent of your passport and the TRV will be stamped on your passport. The study permit is a document that allows you to work and study in Canada while the TRV allows you to enter Canada as a student (or re-enter Canada if you leave Canada for work or vacations).
    While you are a student, please make sure your study permit is valid. If you ever travel outside of Canada, please make sure your TRV is valid.
  • Whether you are working on or off-campus, please make sure you are legally eligible to work (permit and Social Insurance Number)
  • Immigration Canada officials cannot issue documents beyond the expiry date of your passport. If your passport will expire during your studies, you should begin the renewal process at least six months before its expiry date. Your passport can only be renewed through a consulate, embassy or office of your home country.
  • You will be eligible to work for a restricted number of hours per week. As a full time student enrolled in a program that is leading to a degree you can work up to 20 hours a week during school year and up to 40 hours per week during scheduled break. Schedule break differs based on program, so please check with International Office.
  • After completion of a degree program at a Canadian post-secondary institution, students can apply for a once-in-a-lifetime work permit valid for up to three years to work anywhere in Canada. (http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/helpcentre/results-by-topic.asp?st=15.3.4). Please check if your program makes you eligible for this work permit.
  • Your eligibility for a post graduate work permit might depend on your conduct while you are on a study permit (e.g. make sure you do not work more than the designated number of hours, make sure you are not failing your courses etc.).