Home-Schooled Student Admission
Concordia University of Edmonton reviews applications from home-schooled and home-educated applicants. We appreciate that each home-schooling experience is unique and assess the merits of all home-schooled applicants on an individual basis. The following admission routes are guidelines.
Please contact us regarding any advice or clarification you may require regarding your specific admission circumstances.
Home-schooled and home-educated applicants are offered the following admission routes:
Applicants are encouraged to provide a confidential letter of recommendation from an impartial source, such as a home-education coordinator. This is to indicate your academic readiness for a university-level program of studies and method of home schooling followed.
- Admission to Arts, Management, or Science degree program by presenting a Home School Portfolio with the application for admission, which should contain but is not limited to the following elements:
- Evidence of prior learning from Grades 10 through 12.
- Statements of results from Grades 10 through 12.
- At minimum of three writing samples from the applicants Grade 12 work (from literature works studied).
- The portfolio should also contain one of the following:
- A brief essay (1,000-2,500 words) describing the value of your home-schooling experience
- An entrance video production with supporting written storyboard.
- Demonstrating the required admission average in the five 30-level courses for required subjects in your program of choice. (See Regular Admissions Requirements)
- Admission to an Arts, Management, or Science degree program by completing a minimum of one year of full-time study in a diploma program at a recognized college, technical institute, or bible college in addition to their home-schooling program. Applicants must be in satisfactory academic standing throughout their post-secondary coursework.
Additional Requirements for Management or Science Applicants
Applicants for Management must possess Grade 12 mathematics. Applicants for Science must possess Grade 12 mathematics and two Grade 12 sciences in either biology, chemistry or physics.
We require additional documentation to determine if the applicant meets the program prerequisites. Please be prepared to submit course syllabi, textbook lists, and three to five academic work samples such as science laboratory reports OR results from standardized aptitude tests such as SAT or ACT for each subject area.
Entrance Scholarships for Home-Schooled Applicants
Home-schooled applicants who present the appropriate Grade 12 requirements for admission (section 3.2.1, High School Student Admission), present an award average of 75% or higher, and submit an application for admission by April 1st are eligible for entrance award consideration. Concordia University of Edmonton will also consider home-schooled applicants who present the appropriate ACT or SAT score. Home-schooled applicants who are ineligible for an entrance award are eligible to be considered for in-course awards (section 7.0, Awards) after the completion of their first year of study at Concordia University of Edmonton.
Assistant Registrar, Admissions | +1 780.479.9223 | email@example.com
Contact regarding Home-school admissions
Assistant Registrar, Recruitment | +1 780.479.9221 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact regarding Home-school recruitment