About the Certificate
Gain skills in the key areas of human resource management and become an HR professional. Learn effective recruitment and selection techniques, support employee career planning, develop quality training programs for employees, and develop an effective performance management program.
- Prepare for a career in human resources
- Enhance your HR career and earn a recognized credential
- Learn professional techniques for hiring, managing and motivating employees
- Complete the 6 required human resource management courses plus 60 hours of optional courses (150 hours)
- Can be completed within 1 semester up to a maximum of 3 years
This program is eligible towards Blue Seal Certification
This program is offered in collaboration with Mount Royal University.
- XADM 10001 – Organizational Effectiveness
- Create a highly competent workforce while reducing turnover and decreasing recruitment costs. Gain an understanding of organizational design, development and change, employee involvement strategies and human resource planning. Acquire strategies for recruitment and selection.
- XADM 10002 – Organizational Training and Development
- Continuous learning, career development and training for improved performance are key elements of an organization’s successful HR strategy. Discover how to integrate performance measurement, coaching and development policies and programs, and training initiatives to achieve overall organizational effectiveness.
- XADM 10005 – Total Rewards
- Explore how to integrate the total compensation package, including remuneration, benefits and pension, with the organization’s overall goals. Gain a broad understanding of the employment environment and the statutory framework within which the organization operates.
- XADM 10006 – Workplace Health and Safety
- Take a leadership role on the issue of workplace health, safety and Workers’ Compensation. The amount of accountability you have in this area depends on the size of your organization and management’s assessment of inherent risks. Make sure that your organization’s efforts are coordinated and effective.
- XADM 10013 – Employee Relations
- Develop your understanding of the essentials of employment legislation and its impact on the work environment. Discover how to interpret and manage legal issues in human resources by reviewing real-life situations. Identify when and how to research, develop and implement policies and procedures in your organization.
- XADM 10014 – Human Resources Information Management (HRIM)
- Human resource departments are responsible for maintaining large quantities of employee information required by organizations to achieve their business objectives. Acquire best practice strategies for managing this data and selecting the technology most appropriate for your organization.
Optional courses (choose 60 hours):
- XMGD 20020 – Human Resource Basics
- Gain a fundamental overview of human resources management. Acquire an appreciation and basic comprehension of legislation affecting employees, knowledge regarding the recruitment/selection process, training and development, and managing day-to-day performance.
- XADM 10015 – Employee Retention for Managers
- What is today’s workforce looking for in an employer? Fundamental changes are taking place within the workplace and it is changing the way that employers relate to their employees. Acquire practical strategies for retaining your organization’s greatest asset – its people.
- XADM 10011 – Diversity Management
- Globalization, advancements in technology and competition for resources, markets and talent have moved diversity management from an equal opportunity initiative to a strategically driven business necessity. Today’s organizations build skills, create policies, and nurture workplace effectiveness through diversity management.
- XADM 10012 – Succession Planning for Managers
- As valuable skilled employees retire or resign, who will be ready to replace them? Acquire a solid understanding of characteristics that define succession planning and be able to develop a strategic succession plan for your own organization.
- XADM 10004 – Labour Relations
- Apply knowledge of organizational goals with an understanding of union activities to achieve an optional strategy for labour management cooperation. Learn strategies for dealing with certification, collective bargaining, interpretation and administration of collective agreements, and resolution of grievances.
- XADM 10016 – Employee Engagement
- Managers and supervisors must learn to measure their workplace’s performance on the dimensions that create a great workplace and strive for continuous improvement. Solid skills in building employee engagement through strong relationships with individuals and groups of employees are essential. Be introduced to a “Communications Intentions Model” designed to enhance managers’ and supervisors’ ability to build relationships.
- XMGD 20030 – Performance Management
- A strong, integrated performance development and review program is about growing your employees, tapping into their strengths and adding new skills, utilizing a strength-based approach to performance management. This approach is designed on the principles that engaged employees have a direct impact on client/customer engagement, peer/staff relationships and bottom-line business results.
- XMGD 20031 – Increasing Your Influence
- Gain valuable insight into what it takes to be a valued team member in today’s workplace. This course provides useful techniques for managing situations where you have ample responsibility yet may not have the authority over others to make things happen. Deepen your understanding of how leaders and followers are interconnected in a team environment.
- XMGD 20015 – Building High Performance Teams
- An effective team is greater than the sum of its individual parts. This course arms you with the tools necessary to develop your own high performance team. Topics include the stages of team development, common pitfalls to avoid in developing teams, conflict resolution, creating the player attitude and mapping team capabilities.
- XMGD 10021 – Management Through Coaching
- In today’s performance and results-oriented workplace, coaching is an effective and powerful tool to unlock the potential of employees. This course introduces current and aspiring leaders to coaching including what it is, the qualities of an effective coach, and a basic coaching model. Experience coaching through class discussions, demonstrations, and opportunities to practice and apply coaching strategies.
- XPYM 20001 – Payroll Compliance Legislation
- This is the first payroll course required for the PCP certificate. It provides an overview of payroll compliance responsibilities and payroll-related legislation, including employment standards and workers’ compensation, and equips you with the tools to effectively communicate these to various stakeholders.
- XMGD 10045 – Emotional Intelligence at Work
- Emotional intelligence impacts success and happiness at home and work. It helps us motivate ourselves, manage stress, embrace change, strengthen relationships and resolve conflict. Become aware of, identify, and analyze and manage individual and group emotions. Unlike IQ, EQ (EI) is a skill that can be improved through education and practice.
- XMGD 10046 – Effective Facilitation for Managers and Leaders
- In today’s organizations, effective facilitation skills are essential. Explore techniques and strategies to manage meetings and work sessions that are productive and reach desired outcomes. Gain insight into the role of the facilitator to identify objectives, manage participation and conflict, build trust and rapport, and develop action plans.
- XADM 10023 – Interviewing Strategies
- Explore the proven technique of behavioural interviewing through interactive activities such as employment interviews, telephone screening, and panel and video interviews. Learn how to recruit candidates and make effective hiring decisions through reviewing online applications and resumes. Evaluate interview methods and hiring techniques. Understand the importance of checking education, criminal and employment references.
- XCMT 10001 – Change Management Fundamentals
- The ever-accelerating pace of change is driving organizational strategy and performance at every level. Explore the foundations of change management for organizational success, including essential concepts, the role of a change leader, and the change management life cycle. Gain practical insight into the impacts of change and the importance of change management as a strategic role and discipline.
- XADM 10024 – HR Strategy: Leading Practices
- Focus on aligning HR strategies with your organization’s business strategy in order to contribute to organizational effectiveness. The challenges of a global workforce, competition for talent and leveraging performance mean you must hone your strategic capabilities and build your toolkit of HR solutions.
- XMGD 30011 – Leading with Emotional Intelligence
- Succeed professionally by grasping the essential concepts of emotional intelligence and utilizing them to form powerful, healthy relationships. Learn to communicate clearly and effectively, solve problems, make thoughtful decisions, and earn others’ trust and respect.
- XMGD 30012 – The Art of Leadership
- Be introduced to practical leadership tools and strategies for success, including delegation, motivation, coaching and feedback.
- XMGD 30003 – Conflict Management
- Gain an overview of conflict management principles and best practices. Learn to assess and manage your own response and approach to conflict in the workplace.
- XMGD 30005 – Performance Management Seminar
- Through the process of performance management, organizations are able to align individual and business goals. Explore the three key components of effective performance management: plan, perform and review.
- XMGD 30006 – Effective Interpersonal Communication
- Workplace and business communication can be challenging. Be introduced to personal assessment tools and strategies to improve interpersonal effectiveness, facilitate team work, enhance productivity and foster win/win communication.
- XMGD 30007 – Building Customer Relations
- Acquire the steps and strategies you require to provide customer service excellence. Discover what your customers want and need from you, and take action to ensure these needs are met. Explore methods for dealing with challenging customers while maintaining composure.
- XPRM 30016 – Project Management Basics
- Learn the basic terminology of project management, including the five key areas of expertise: Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, and Closing.
Program Hours: 150
|Subject Code||Course Reference Number||Start Date||End Date||Course Hours||Course Fee|
|XADM 10001-002||30496||29 Mar 2021||26 Apr 2021||15 hrs||$439.00|
|XADM 10002-002||30491||15 Mar 2021||12 Apr 2021||15 hrs||$439.00|
|XADM 10005-002||30365||22 Feb 2021||22 Mar 2021||15 hrs||$439.00|
|XADM 10006-002||30492||25 Jan 2021||22 Feb 2021||15 hrs||$439.00|
|XADM 10013-002||30275||8 Feb 2021||8 Mar 2021||15 hrs||$439.00|
|XADM 10014-002||30493||22 Mar 2021||19 Apr 2021||15 hrs||$439.00|
Optional Courses (choose 60 hours):
|Subject Code||Course Reference Number||Start Date||End Date||Course Hours||Course Fee|
|XMGD 20020-002||30512||25 Jan 2021||22 Feb 2021||15 hrs||$439.00|
|XADM 10015||Not offered this term|
|XADM 10011||Not offered this term|
|XADM 10012||Not offered this term|
|XADM 10004||Not offered this term|
|XADM 10016-002||30494||11 Jan 2021||8 Feb 2021||15 hrs||$439.00|
|XMGD 20030||Not offered this term|
|XMGD 20031||Not offered this term|
|XMGD 20015||Not offered this term|
|XMGD 10021||Not offered this term|
|XPYM 20001||Not offered this term|
|XMGD 10045||Not offered this term|
|XMGD 10046||Not offered this term|
|XADM 10023-002||30498||1 Mar 2021||29 Mar 2021||15 hrs||$439.00|
|XCMT 10001||30178||18 Jan 2021||16 Feb 2021||15 hrs||$489.00|
|XADM 10024||Not offered this term|
|Subject Code||Course Reference Number||Start Date||End Date||Course Fee|
|XMGD 30011||Not offered this term|
|XMGD 30012||Not offered this term|
|XMGD 30003||Not offered this term|
|XMGD 30005||Not offered this term|
|XMGD30006||Not offered this term|
|XMGD 30007||Not offered this term|
|XPRM 30016-002||Not offered this term|
Step 1: Select the Course Reference Number above.
Step 2: You will be directed to a page to register as a student with CUE’s Office of Extension & Culture.
Step 3: Upon submission, you will then register with Mount Royal University and proceed to booking your courses.