Why Renewable Energy?
The growing interest in and demand for renewable energy requires a clear understanding of the potential and the limitations of various options, and their implications for environmental stewardship and economic growth. This course will allow students to look beyond simplistic solutions, to ensure that any transition to a low-carbon future is optimized and sustainable.
About This Course (X-MGT 52)
This course will examine the growing interest in and inventory of renewable energy technologies, their interactions with each other and with conventional energy sources, and how to optimize their potential contribution to the energy, environmental and economic goals of Canada.
Course Modules and Expected Outcomes:
This course will provide an overview of the current status and market potential for a variety of renewable energy options, which will complement the specific technological expertise garnered from training in solar, wind, geothermal, etc. It will also serve as a primer for professionals from the conventional energy industry who are interested in hybridizing renewables, or to understand the issues of carbon emissions in a holistic sense.
- Learn to assess renewable energy technologies from a wide range of aspects and their implications
- Gain the ability to correlate each technology with carbon emissions
- Understand the ancillary issues for each technology, such as time-of-use, storage, etc.
- Be able to identify the various issues that affect the transition to low-carbon options
- Learn the economic impacts of action and in-action
- Be able to see the “bigger picture” for renewables
- Understand the barriers to a greater uptake of renewables
- Learn how to estimate the carbon footprint for any end-use application and the steps necessary to reduce it
- Learn to assess and benefit from current sources of information on energy and environment issues, such as government databases
Course Schedule for X-MGT 52
|Date||Lecture Time||Day||Total Hours|
|May 4 – Jun 22, 2021||6:30 pm – 8:30 pm||Tuesdays||16 hours|
|Sep 14 – Nov 2, 2021||6:30 pm – 8:30 pm||Tuesdays||16 hours|
|Feb 1 – Mar 22, 2022||6:30 pm – 8:30 pm||Tuesdays||16 hours|
Bill Eggertson has been involved in the renewable energy sector since 1985 with senior positions in Canada, the UK and the US. He managed the UK Foreign Office initiative on Climate Security, and was trained by Al Gore in The Climate Project, as well as speaking at COP11 in Montreal. He has served on numerous municipal, provincial, national & international advisory groups dealing with renewables, and renovated his residence into one of the top-20 energy-efficient homes in Canada to feature a range of renewable energy technologies.
Online delivery: Online synchronous delivery.
There are no prerequisites. The course is open to everyone!
$180 + GST.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com