For K to 12 Bilingual Program Teachers
Incorporating the use of language into theatre games, speech exercises, movement, improvisation and text, this course will help you implement drama activities into the elementary/secondary bilingual program classroom.
- implementing drama activities into K-12 bilingual classroom;
- enhancing Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies;
- and more!
July 5-10, 2021, 1:00pm to 4:00pm*
Plus a visit to a theatrical performance on July 11
*The course will be conducted virtually if in-person gathering is restricted due to the pandemic.
“Awesome session! Lots of great ideas to start using right away!”
“The activities were engaging and I enjoyed how interactive the session was.”
“Fun session… easy-to-implement, engaging activities and exercises. Thank you!”
“Awesome interactive Drama session. Came out with some great ideas.”
Pre-requisites: Consent of the Department ; K to 12 Bilingual program teaching experience; K to 12 language program teaching experience
Total Hours: 18 Instruction Hours
Course Fee: $350 + GST
● Introduction to course
● Ice-breaker games and activities
● Theatre games for your classroom
~including warm-ups, focus activities and movement exercises
● Speech, Staging and Storytelling
~including movement exercises, improvisation and scripted materials such as fairy tales and song verses
● Studying a TYA (Theatre for Young Audiences) play:
LIG & BITTLE by Jared Matsunaga-Turnbull and Elyne Quan
~Reading the play and discussing structure and appropriateness for young students
~In groups, work on staging select scenes from play using activities/techniques learned in previous classes
● Presentation of TYA scenes for class
~observance and feedback from audience and players
● TYA theatre practitioner visit: TBA
● Prep for visit to Freewill Shakespeare Festival
● 8pm performance of Freewill Shakespeare Festival play
● Drama in the Classroom
~review of games and exercises from the week
~how to implement these drama activities into your classroom
– You will develop the capacity to create, participate in and appreciate drama in a bilingual program setting.
– You will develop personal resources including imagination, concentration, physical control, cooperation, self-confidence and oral communication in a bilingual program setting.
– You will develop the capacity to collaborate effectively in a bilingual program setting.
– You will develop presentation skills and gain confidence in working in groups and speaking in public in a bilingual program setting.
– You will discover the importance of play and explore the implementation of drama activities into any bilingual program classroom.
– You will develop drama skills for enhancing core subjects i.e. Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies using English and a second language