Join the Concordia Commitment Today!
The Concordia Commitment, a one-of-a-kind program in Alberta, provides additional support throughout your studies to help you achieve academic and career success. The Commitment helps you get the most out of everything that CUE has to offer from the first semester to beyond graduation.
The Concordia Commitment:
If you complete all requirements of the Concordia Commitment program, have a 2.3 GPA at graduation, and do not secure career-related employment within 6 months of graduation, or move on to a professional program or graduate studies, you are eligible to return for an extra year of undergraduate classes for FREE.
All students with 33 or less CUE or transfer credits in a 4-year degree program, and all students with 9 or less CUE or transfer credits in a 3-year degree program are eligible for the Concordia Commitment. Note that this includes students starting 3 and 4-year degree programs with no post-secondary courses or credit.
FREE! A refundable deposit of $200 is required to enroll (GST included), but is fully refunded on completion of all requirements of the Concordia Commitment program.
Last day to register – January 22, 2021 at 4:00pm
How the Commitment Works:
After joining the Concordia Commitment, you will be connected with a Student Life and Learning Staff member who will offer advice and guidance throughout your program. In Years 2-4 you will identify an advisor on campus you would like to work with as a CUE Commitment Advisor.
The program helps you adjust to university courses and demands by offering you valuable academic skills workshops. Attend academic workshops in your first year to develop time management and study skills, learn about test-taking strategies, and connect with other Commitment students.
Get involved in CUE campus life to meet people, make friends, develop new skills, and become a campus leader. By joining a student club, becoming a Student Ambassador, volunteering at CUE, or engaging in other rewarding campus opportunities you invest in your personal and professional growth. Find the right fit for you, discuss your engagement activities with your advisor, and stay involved throughout your degree to enjoy university life and build your resume.
All students enrolled in the program will attend the yearly Concordia Commitment Lecture where an inspiring speaker will share wisdom and experience to help you succeed while at university and beyond.
In Years 2/3 of the program, you will also attend scholarly presentations to connect with the intellectual life of CUE. There is no shortage of fascinating topics and themes delivered by international experts and distinguished research clusters on campus.
5. START YOUR CAREER
Your journey to a fulfilling career begins with self-discovery. We will help you in this self-discovery journey to build a thoughtful career plan and create a career path. We will guide you through a range of fun activities such as career development seminars, career fairs, industry panels, and networking events. You will also get personalized help with resume writing, effective interviewing, networking and more.
Concordia Commitment Program Outline
- Attendance at the yearly Concordia Commitment Lecture.
- Completion of student engagement activities (10 hours minimum per year)
- Completion of scheduled development opportunities within each year of the program:
- Year 1 – Transition: Academic workshop focus and student life.
- Years 2/3 – Intellectual enrichment: Scholarly presentations and career design.
- Year 3 or 4 – Career development: Career services seminars and preparing for life after a student.
- Attendance at all regular meetings with Commitment program advisor from year 2-4 (minimum 2 per semester).
You are eligible to return to CUE for one undergraduate year for FREE (30 credits maximum to be taken within a single calendar year in Open Studies) if you:
- Complete years of the Concordia Commitment.
- Graduate with 2.3 GPA or higher.
- Illustrate active pursuit of employment with a weekly log of job search activities.
- Check in monthly after graduation to discuss steps taken to obtain employment.
- Are unable to find secure career-related employment or a suitable graduate program within 6 months of graduation.
- Are no more than 1 year out from graduation.
*Information drawn and adapted from the ‘U of Regina Guarantee’ program.
In the news:
For further information about the program, contact:
Student Life & Learning