The Government of Alberta is encouraging all post-secondary institutions to prepare for a full return to on-campus learning this fall given the progress being made on Alberta’s COVID-19 vaccine program and the success of other public health measures.
At Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE), our planning is well underway. On March 5, 2021, we shared our plans for a significant return to campus this fall, and we are currently exploring how to offer a near full return to in-person learning experiences while ensuring the health and safety of our community.
Here is what we know today:
- Your health and safety have been, and will continue to be, our priorities as we move forward with our planning process. We recognize that the past year has been filled with numerous challenges, and we are proud of the compassion and resiliency that has been demonstrated by our community throughout the pandemic.
- Alberta’s COVID-19 vaccine program is progressing, and the government anticipates that every adult Albertan will be offered their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by the end of June.
- While we are planning for a full return to campus, we may also be in a position to continue to offer some virtual programming and services this fall.
- We will be integrating flexible delivery into our campus community. More information can be found here.
- It is likely that some public health directives (like wearing non-medical face masks and adhering to physical distancing requirements) will remain in place this fall. The situation is continuing to evolve and we will share more information as it becomes available.
- Our spring and summer semesters will remain predominately virtual, with limited exceptions for classes and programs that require in-person interaction and extensive experiential learning.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is an ongoing and evolving situation, and, while we are optimistic, we also need to ensure we are making responsible decisions that are aligned with our commitment to health and safety. We are looking forward to communicating our progress and hope to be able to share more details in the near future. We are grateful for your patience and understanding.
Will all students be returning to campus this fall?
We are planning for a full return to campus this fall and are currently exploring how to safely offer the highest possible number of in-person learning experiences. In addition to our in-person learning experiences, we may also be in a position to continue to offer some virtual programming and services this fall and will be introducing a number of flexible delivery courses.
Will student residences be open?
We are currently exploring how best to safely operate our student residences. We understand that having housing available on campus is important for our students and we are committed to reopening our residences this fall. Applications are currently open and we would encourage any student seeking housing to apply as our residences operate on a first-come, first-served basis.
Will public health directives (masks, physical distancing, etc.) still be in place this fall?
It is likely that there will still be some public health directives in place this fall. These restrictions may prevent CUE from being able to offer certain courses in person as space on our campus is limited; however, we are continuing to monitor the latest information from public health and will provide more details as they become available.
What about study space and the cafeteria?
At this time, we are not able to make definitive decisions about our facilities; however, we are hoping to be fully operational as part of our return to campus. The situation is continuing to evolve and we will provide more details as they become available.
I am not comfortable returning to campus at this time. What can I do?
While we will be introducing a number of flexible delivery courses, it is anticipated that these courses are only partially online. Students will be expected to be back on campus to take their programs of study. Please be assured that in addition to encouraging everyone in our community to be vaccinated against COVID-19, we will be implementing an enhanced cleaning schedule and following all public health recommendations and requirements. The net effect of these combined actions should provide for a safe return to campus.
I am an international student. Can I come to Canada?
Right now, we are making plans to welcome international and exchange students to Canada for the fall semester. However, it is important to note that there are currently travel restrictions in place that are costly to students and may still be in place come the fall. While we will do our best to prepare students for entry into Canada, the decision on whether they can or cannot enter is solely at the discretion of the Canada Border Services Agency. For more information, please contact our International Office.
What arrangements are being made for employees?
The health and safety of our entire community is important to us, and that includes our employees. Along with following all public health directives and guidance, we are committed to working with our employees to ensure that they are comfortable with their workspaces and arrangements. Additionally, we have a Remote Working Policy to give our employees flexibility and help us navigate through the months ahead.
More information will be shared as it becomes available. Thank you for your patience and understanding.