Sessional Instructors – Physical Education and Wellness
Category: Academic Colleague
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good. CUE is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for work, study, and living. We actively promote dignity for all, rejecting action and language that are harmful to mutual respect.
CUE is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of over 3,000, we are known for our small class sizes and excellence in teaching. These features, and our diverse student population, provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian university system. CUE is an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management.
CUE is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for work, study, and living. We actively promote dignity for all, rejecting action and language that are harmful to mutual respect.
The Faculty of Education, Department of Physical Education and Wellness invites applications for a Sessional Instructor Pool to be considered for future vacancies.
Session Instructor Pool – for information on potential courses, please refer to the current academic calendar
Reporting to the Chair, Department of Physical Education and Wellness, the Sessional Instructor’s responsibilities include:
- Prepare and deliver weekly instructional lectures, assignments and examinations relevant to the course taught
- Grade assignments and exams
- Provide constructive feedback to students, including effective individualized strategies to support student success
- Maintain regular office hours
- Work collegially as a team member with Department and Faculty leadership, Colleagues and other stakeholders
- A PhD or Masters in Kinesiology, Sociology, Sports Studies, Physical Education, or a related field
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated empathetic approach to the instructional needs and concerns of students
- Proficiency with Google Email and Apps, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience using a learning management system, such as Moodle, and familiarity with educational technologies, with an aptitude to learn other software as required
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Teresa Fowler, Chair, Physical Education and Wellness for further information at email@example.com.
Please forward your complete application package to Dr. Teresa Fowler, Chair, Physical Education and Wellness at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Packages should include:
- Curriculum Vitae and cover letter
- Official transcripts of graduate-level courses and designation confirmation
- Letter describing teaching philosophy
- Recent teaching evaluations, if available
- Names and contact information of three academic and/or professional employment references
The successful candidate must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
Closing Date: Application review will commence immediately and continue until September 10th, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
Concordia University of Edmonton encourages applications from members of racialized groups, visible minorities, First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, women, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression, and others who may support a diversity of perspectives at CUE. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.