Dean, Faculty of Education
Closing Date: October 31, 2021
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a boutique university, small enough where every student is essential yet large enough for a global outlook. We are constantly seeking the right balance between teaching and research, between specialization and adventurousness. Our ultimate goal has not changed since 1921: to be more than students and professors, to create a community of active citizens, of good and honourable people.
CUE is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for work, study, and living. We actively promote dignity for all, rejecting action and language that are harmful to mutual respect.
CUE is a rapidly evolving institution, aiming to become Canada’s pre-eminent small university, and are currently seeking candidates for the position of Dean, Faculty of Education. This renewable term position, which offers substantial opportunities to lead and grow an already successful Faculty in alignment with the 2018-2023 Academic Plan https://concordia.ab.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/CUE_AcademicPlan-Spreads-Digital_FINAL.pdf and the Strategic Research Plan https://concordia.ab.ca/research/research-at-concordia/strategic-research-plan/, is available to begin July 1, 2022.
The Faculty of Education is responsible for the Master of Education in Educational Leadership (MEd (EL)) program, Bachelor of Education (After Degree) (BEd (AD)) program, as well as undergraduate Education courses, and the Physical Education and Sport Studies suite of courses. The Faculty of Education also offers three Minors, which are available to all students.
Reporting to the Vice-President Academic and Provost, the Dean, Faculty of Education will implement the academic and administrative policies and decisions of the university to achieve strategic goals and objectives. The successful candidate will promote a high standard of teaching, research, and community service in the context of collaborative teamwork and the growing diversity of faculty, staff, and students.
Please Note: Vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment at CUE.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Faculty. Such activities include:
- Lead and mentor direct reports (department chairs, administrative assistant),
- Recruit qualified sessional instructors to complement faculty,
- Respond to student concerns and issues, and
- Serve as budget control officer for the Faculty;
- Support the research activities of faculty members in support of the academic mission;
- Develop new programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels;
- Develop and nurture partnerships with external stakeholders such as other post-secondary; institutions, international partners, not-for-profit organizations, individuals, accrediting bodies, and all levels of government;
- Actively participate and collaborate as a member of senior management in the leadership of the Faculty and institution;
- Lead in a diverse and changing environment while engaging others in shaping that environment; and
- Provide regular updates, including written reports and data collection, to the Vice-President Academic & Provost, and senior administration.
- An earned doctorate in a relevant discipline, coupled with a solid record of success as a teacher, researcher, mentor, and administrator who carries an academic appointment with at the rank of Associate or Full Professor;
- An understanding of program development, review, and renewal;
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, including a strong sense of professionalism and respect, able to promote cohesion and teamwork, facilitating a collaborative and supportive environment;
- A critical thinker with the ability to thrive in a collaborative, diverse environment;
- Effective strategic planner, with strong organization and process skills;
- Excellent listening, oral, and written communication skills;
- A person of integrity and vision, an innovator, and a problem-solver committed to promoting a high level of faculty research and an excellent student experience;
- A solid record of building relationships with external and internal partners, with evidence of having built opportunities for potential sources of funding and support; and
- A highly engaged leader who seeks out opportunities, develops new possibilities, and implements them effectively.
- Knowledge of Concordia University of Edmonton’s culture, opportunities, and stakeholders would be considered an asset.
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Valerie Henitiuk, Vice-President Academic & Provost for further information at email@example.com.
Application Date: Applications will be accepted until October 31, 2021.
Please forward your complete application package as specified below. Application packages to include:
- Curriculum vitae;
- A statement of citizenship/immigration status;
- Transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A list of refereed publications (or, in performative fields, the equivalent);
- A teaching portfolio, including a statement on teaching philosophy;
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions; and
- The successful candidate must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
Please forward a complete application package to CUE Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note – shortlisted candidates will be requested to provide three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference.
Concordia University of Edmonton encourages applications from members of racialized groups, visible minorities, First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, women, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression, and others who may support a diversity of perspectives at CUE. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.