NEW Research Cluster! Metals in Environment and Health (MEH)Posted on: Jun 13, 2022
CUE is pleased to announce the formation of a new research cluster!
The Metals in Environment and Health (MEH) research cluster will foster scholarship and public engagement on a range of important topics, including:
- extraction and recycling of heavy metals from industrial waste and contaminated ecosystems;
- detection and quantification of heavy metals in industrial, environmental, and biological samples;
- incorporation of heavy metals in novel molecular probes, nanomaterials, and pharmaceutical compounds; and
- assessment of the effect of heavy metals on human health and the well-being of other organisms.
The founding members of this new research cluster are:
- Dr. Makan Golizeh (Assistant Professor, Analytical Chemistry)
- Dr. Patrick Kamau (Professor, Biochemistry and Chemistry)
- Dr. Emmanuel Mapfumo (Associate Professor, Biological and Environmental Sciences)
- Dr. Matthew Churchward (Assistant Professor, Biological and Environmental Sciences)
- Dr. Sergey Ishutov (Faculty of Science)
- Dr. Cecilia Bukutu (Associate Professor, Public Health)
- Dr. John Washington (Associate Professor, Chemistry)
We look forward to the many successes of this new research cluster at CUE!