Quick links


Go back to news

Four OT Thriller Ends First half for Thunder MBB

Posted on: Nov 30, 2015

Following a disappointing 95-67 loss to the NAIT Ooks on Friday night, the Thunder returned home to the RKAC Saturday night for what would turn out to be the longest game in Thunder history. The opening frame had the Thunder down but they battled back to cut the Ooks lead to one by half time.  A good third quarter by the Thunder put them up two heading into the fourth.  The Thunder would have a 5 point lead with 40 seconds to go but two late turnovers gave the Ooks the opportunities they needed to tie the game and force OT.
The 1st OT would go back and forth with both teams having a chance to push the lead but every basket was answered both ways.  The second OT would play out much the same. In the 3rd OT, the Thunder would be down 92-90 but see Jason Jones Jr. get fouled on a 3-point attempt with 2.7 seconds to go.  Unfortunately, he would make just 2 of 3 to tie the game and send it to a 4th OT.
Fouls started to be a huge factor in the 4th OT as Nate Wojcicki, Jason Jones Jr and Artez Scharer would all foul out early in the period.  A great effort from the Thunder bench would come up a little short as the Ooks would get a 6 point lead and hold on for the 105-102 victory. “I couldn’t be more proud of the effort tonight,” said Coach Reagan Wood.  “The first half of the season has been full of challenges and adversity and tonight we had so many guys show their toughness and resiliency.  We battled a nationally ranked team in the longest game I have personally ever been a part of and wouldn’t doubt if it’s the longest in ACAC history.  We’d have to check on that.  I know that the effort tonight will help us a ton heading into the second semester where we are going to need to be sharp every game.” Leaders for the Thunder were Brett Jakubec with 23 points and 8 rebounds, Jason Jones Jr. with 22 points and 4 rebounds, and Mike Malin registered a great line with 13 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 blocks.  Nathaniel Wojcicki had a nice double double with 12 points and 12 rebounds.  Ryan McLaren was solid off the bench with 10 points and Bevan Purnell came in and knocked down three 3’s to add 9 points for the Thunder.  The Thunder head into the semester break 4-8 and a game out of a playoff spot.
Over the break the Thunder will head to Havre, MT to play at Montana State Northern on January 2nd and 3rd.  The Thunder will resume conference play on January 8th with a trip to Grande Prairie for two games with the Wolves that will be critical in the playoff chase.