Transition from Hangouts to Google ChatPosted on: Jul 22, 2021
We’re excited to share that we’ll be transitioning everyone in CUE to Google’s newest enterprise-grade collaboration product, Google Chat. Chat has a modern UI, team rooms that support better team collaboration, emoji reactions to make work fun, and bots to help you be more productive, and much more.
On Monday, July 26, 2021, Concordia will be moving to Google Chat for 1:1 direct messages (DMs), group chats, and team discussions. On that date, the Hangouts app on mobile and desktop will stop working, however the web-based Hangouts (hangouts.google.com) will continue to be available to help ease the migration.
How do I get Google Chat? It’s important to do the following before Monday, July 26, 2021.
- Explore the new Web experience at chat.google.com.
- Download the new mobile app for Android or iOS.
- Download the new standalone desktop app if you’ve been using the classic Hangouts Chrome extension or app. You can access the desktop app from a prompt that appears in chat.google.com
- On Monday, July 26, 2021, refresh your Gmail to get the new Chat in Gmail experience.
Where do I find my old chats?
- You can continue recent conversations from classic Hangouts in Google Chat. Over time, older conversations from classic Hangouts will also migrate to Google Chat.
- All previous chat history from classic Hangouts will be accessible in Gmail.
Where do I go for help?
For more information about the new Chat, go to the Google Workspace Learning Center.
Please contact IT Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780.479.9316