Dean of Education Opportunity – Internal CUE Applications OnlyPosted on: Apr 18, 2017
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders, and citizens for the common good. Concordia University of Edmonton is seeking candidates for the position of Dean of Education. This position is available to begin July 1, 2017.
Reporting to the Vice-President Academic and Provost, the Dean of Education will represent and implement the academic and administrative policies and decisions of the university to achieve strategic goals and objectives.
The successful candidate will promote a high standard of teaching, research, and community service in the context of collaborative teamwork and the growing diversity of faculty, staff, and students.
- Oversee functional and operational academic decisions (e.g., credit programming, research, and innovation) and administrative decisions (e.g., operational and financial alignment).
- Support and lead a culture of lifelong learning and innovation in Education.
- Champion the research and innovation activities of faculty in support of the academic mission, ensuring relevance and responsiveness to the needs of students and Alberta School jurisdictions.
- Develop, enhance and nurture partnerships with external stakeholders such as other post-secondary institutions, publicly funded Alberta School jurisdiction, not-for-profit organizations, individuals, accrediting bodies, and all levels of government.
- Serve as a representative of Concordia to external academic, business, and government organizations to further Concordia’s interests and institution-related activities.
- Partner with external stakeholders, faculty, and staff to strengthen the learning environment for students.
- Actively participate and collaborate as a member of senior management in the overall leadership of the academic team and Institution.
- Find solutions to problems and urgent matters and assist to address these problems.
- Lead a diverse and changing environment, and engage others in shaping that environment.
- Provide regular updates, including written reports and data collection, to the Vice-President Academic and Provost, and the leadership team.
- Act as a brand champion for the Faculty of Education and the broader university’s visual identity.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collegially and collaboratively as a team member with a variety of teams and stakeholder groups to advance the goals of the Institution.
- Interact frequently with the University’s senior administration, faculty, students, alumni, and employees at all levels, as well as external partners with the potential for significant impact on the University’s reputation.
- An earned doctorate in a relevant discipline, and a solid record of success as a teacher, researcher, mentor, and administrator who carries an academic appointment with at the rank of Full or Associate or Assistant Professor.
- A proven track record of scholarship and research along with experience in teaching and academic administration.
- An understanding of program development, review, renewal, and research.
- Is a person of integrity and vision, an innovator, and a problem-solver committed to promoting a high level of faculty research and an excellent student experience.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of professionalism and respect.
- Has a solid record of building relationships with external and internal partners including granting agencies and government agencies, and will be adept at building links with potential sources of funding and support.
- Strong leadership, management, communication, interpersonal, and critical thinking skills, with the ability to thrive in a collaborative, diverse environment.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, organization, process, and priority setting skills.
- Possesses excellent listening, oral, and written communication skills; is open and genuine.
- Promotes cohesion and teamwork, facilitating a collaborative and supportive environment
- A highly engaged leader who seeks out opportunities, develops new possibilities, and implements them effectively.
- Knowledge of Concordia University of Edmonton’s culture, challenges, goals, and stakeholders would be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will be prepared to participate actively in the undergraduate and possible graduate programs in the Faculty of Education, including in areas of teaching and research, and will be consistent in supporting the achievement of Faculty goals and objectives.
Application Date: This competition is open only to CUE Faculty. Applications will be accepted until April 21, 2017.
Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please forward your curriculum vitae including a statement of citizenship/immigration status; statements of major contributions to teaching, research, and practice; statements of teaching philosophy and scholarship or professional engagement; recent teaching evaluations for the past two (2) years; and the names of three academic references to:
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.