‘Most people in the world are multilingual, and everybody could be; no one is rigorously excluded from another’s language community except through lack of time and effort. Different languages protect and nourish the growth of different cultures, where different pathways of human knowledge can be discovered. They certainly make life richer for those who know more than one of them.’
— Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World, by Nicholas Ostler.
Focus and Mandate of the Group: Interdisciplinary Research Cluster of Linguistics and Language Education
The Interdisciplinary Research Cluster of Linguistics and Language Education, under leadership of Dr. Xinxin Fang (International Office, Centre for Chinese Studies) is a group of passionate language educators from Chinese, French, German, Spanish and other languages program as well as scholars and students who are interested in exploring the empire of languages.
The limits of my language are the limits of my universe.
— Ludwig Wittgenstein (the founder of linguistic philosophy)
1) to promote the advancement of language research and teaching
2) to disseminate research in language teaching pedagogy
3) to conduct linguistic and language education related research projects
4) to conduct professional development for language educators
5) to facilitate exchanges and collaboration among language educators and researchers
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head.
If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.
- Xinxin Fang – Director, Centre for Chinese Studies, CUE
- Conrad van Dyk – Professor, Arts, CUE
- Adrien Guyot– Assistant Professor, Arts, CUE
- Hannuo Wu – Teacher, Calgary Board of Education
- Billie Wu – Professor, Simon Fraser University
- Mianmian Xie – Teacher, Edmonton Public Schools
- Wei Liu – Administrator, University of Alberta International
- Mai Hussein – Assistant Professor, Arts, CUE
- Juan Hernandez – Instructor, Arts, CUE
- Xavier Gutiérrez – Assistant Professor, University of Alberta
- Xiaoting Li — Associate Professor, University of Alberta
- Wenting Chen – Instructor, Capital Normal University
- Kristy Nickerson – Instructor, Office of Extension and Culture, CUE
- Mark Loo – Associate Professor, Management, Arts, CUE
- Peng Zhao – Instructor, Capital Normal University
- Jialun Zhong — Graduate student, Central China Normal University