Open Access Week: 5 Day ChallengePosted on: Oct 18, 2019
Open Access Week 2019: October 21-27, 2019.
Monday, October 21st marks the beginning of 2019’s International Open Access Week, a “global, community-driven week of action to open up access to research” – an opportunity to raise the visibility of academic scholarship and promote research.
What is Open Access? In short, Open Access is an international movement within the global academic community that seeks to eliminate paywalls, providing free and open access to scholarly works such as journal publications and data sets.
This year’s Open Access Week theme, Open for Whom? Equity in Open Knowledge, acknowledges the critical point at which the Open Access movement finds itself. As open and accessible becomes the default, increased effort should be made to ensure that new systems for sharing knowledge are inclusive and equitable, serving the diverse needs of the global research community.
It is around this idea that the CUE Library’s Open Access Week 5 Day Challenge was created. To honour Open Access Week and the sharing of knowledge and information, the CUE Library invites you to participate in daily challenges that introduce you to several Open Access tools and resources, such as the Directory of Open Access Journals, and Open Access policy as it relates to research and researchers in Canada.
All CUE faculty, staff and students who participate in the 5 Day Challenge are eligible to win a CUE hoodie.
Check for daily challenges on:
- The contest is open to members of CUE faculty and staff and students.
- The contest runs from October 21 – 25, 2019.
- To be eligible, participants must complete 1 of the 5 challenges.
- Answers to the challenge questions must be submitted online via the CUE Library’s Google form.
- The contest winner will be notified via email by Friday, November 1st, 2019.
- The winner agrees to have their name (first name only if desired) published on Inside CUE.