Dr. Shaun Aghili
D.B.A. Argosy University, USA 2003
M.Sc. College for Financial Planning, USA 1999
B.A. The Catholic University of America, USA 1985
2014-Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA)
2012-Information Systems Security Management Professional (ISSMP)
2011-Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
2011-Certification in Risk Management Assurance (CRMA)
2010-Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
2008-Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
2007-Certified Management Accountant (CMA – United States)
2007-Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
A Management Associate professor, and a fifteen year veteran of the financial services industry, Shaun Aghili is a management accountant who specializes in internal and information systems auditing.
Shaun Aghili’s academic achievements include a finance graduate degree (M.Sc.), a doctorate degree in business administration (DBA), and the completion of a post-doctorate executive leadership training program through Cornell University. Dr. Aghili also maintains several highly sought financial management, auditing and information systems security related professional designations, in addition to being a Lean Six Sigma black belt, and certified in COBIT 5 implementation.
Shaun is the author of two published personal finance books and over 60 research papers and consumer-oriented articles. In 2009, The Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) awarded Dr. Aghili a certificate of merit for “outstanding character and excellence in contributing to the literature for the advancement of management accounting and financial management”.
Professional and Research Interests
Dr. Aghili’s professional and research interests include Curriculum Development, Academic Audits, Doctoral Dissertation Advising, Action Research, Business Research Writing, Management Accounting, Financial Management, Corporate Finance, Personal Finance, Investment Management, Internal Auditing, Fraud Examination, Organizational Management, Six Sigma, Information System Security.
Publications and Doctoral Research Advising
Aghili, S. (2011), Sampling Techniques, Internal Auditor magazine, p.19-21. Can be electronically retrieved at http://theiia.texterity.com/ia/201112?pg=21&pm=2&u1=texterity&linkImageSrc=/ia/201112/data/imgpages/tn/0021_strmdq.gif/#pg21
Aghili, S. (2011, Spring), Throughput Metrics Meet Six Sigma, Management Accounting Quarterly. Can be electronically retrieved at http://www.imanet.org/resources_and_publications/management_accounting_quarterly/issues/spring_2011.aspx
Aghili, S. (2010, June), Organizational Risk Management, Internal Auditor magazine, p.21-23. Can be electronically retrieved at http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-229068994.html
Aghili, S. (2009), Using Lean Six Sigma Principles and Tools to Execute Operational Internal Audits: A Conceptual Framework. Strategic Finance, P. 38-43. Can be retrieved electronically at http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6421/is_8_90/ai_n31636814/
Nwafor, I (Cyril), Lindskog, D., Zavarsky, P., Ruhl, R., Aghili, S. (2011), A Conceptual Framework for Enterprise User Lifecycle Management. Can be retrieved electronically at http://www.missm.concordia.ab.ca/research
Edwards, D., Lindskog, D., Zavarsky, P., Ruhl, R., Aghili, S. (2011), e-Government System Security Model: A multidimensional, risk-based approach to e-government. Can be retrieved electronically at http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=6113295
Nnoli, H., Lindskog, D., Zavarsky, P., Ruhl, R., Aghili, S. (2012), The Governance of Corporate Forensics using COBIT, NIST, and Increased Automated Forensic Approaches. Can be retrieved electronically at http://www.missm.concordia.ab.ca/research
Syed, K., Lindskog, D., Zavarsky, P., Ruhl, R., Aghili, S. (2012), Proposed Control Procedure to Mitigate the Risks of Strategic Information Outflow in the Recruitment Process. Can be retrieved electronically at http://www.missm.concordia.ab.ca/research
Gilady, E., Lindskog, D., Aghili, S. (2014), Intent Biometrics: An Enhanced Form of Multimodal Biometric Systems. Can be retrieved electronically at http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6844745&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D6844745
Iloh, O., Aghili, S., Butakov, S. (2014) Using COBIT 5 for Risk to Develop Cloud Computing SLA Evaluation Templates. Conference link can be retrieved electronically at http://events.telecom-sudparis.eu/icsoc/Program/Program12.php#CCSA2
- Using Lean Six Sigma Principles and Tools to Execute Operational Internal Audits (2009). Strategic Finance Magazine (Winner of the 2009 IMA merit award)
- Advantages and Caveats of Interest-Only Mortgages for Clients (2004). The Journal for Financial Planning
- Understanding Welfare Benefit Trusts (2002) . The Journal for Financial Planning
Consumer-Oriented Articles (Partial List):
- Capital Gains Tax and Your Home: A Quick Primer (1999)
- Mortgage Lenders’ Secret Weapon (1999)
- When Does Refinancing Make Sense? (1998)
- Home Ownership Made More Affordable (1998)
- Look Before You Leap: A Mortgage Loan Primer (1997)
- Annual Percentage Rate (APR) Spells Out How Much Loan Costs (1995)
- Federal Reserve Board’s Job is to Monitor Money Supply (1995)
- Crossing the Narrow Gate (2000) I.L.S. Publishing
- The No-Nonsense Credit Manual (1997) I.L.S. Publishing
Doctoral Dissertation Advising:
- Hsueh-Shang (Paul) Lu (2007) : The Effects of Leadership Styles on Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention of Hotel Employees in Taiwan.
- John H. Muffich (2006): Worker’s Compensation Fraud in California Manufacturing: A Qualitative Study
- Ijaz Ahmed Qureshi (2006): Application of Radio Frequency Identification Technology in the State of California Identification Card System and its Impact on Privacy and Security of Card Holders.