Writing and editing for business is the process of ensuring that business communications are clear, precise, and effective. These courses are ideal for anyone who needs to communicate effectively in writing in the workplace or wants to brush up on basic writing skills.
In this program, you will learn to write concise materials such as business documents, emails, reports, and letters. Refresh your knowledge of common grammar and punctuation errors, and review sentence structure. Explore different writing styles and learn how to organize your thoughts for more effective business writing.
- Online delivery
- Enhance your career prospects
- Learn from experienced industry professionals
- Develop your personal and professional skills
- Earn a recognized credential
- 3 required courses (50 hours)
- Can be completed in 4 months or up to 2 years
This program is offered in collaboration with Mount Royal University.
- XCOM 20008 – Grammar and Punctuation Essentials
- Brush up on basic writing skills, reviewing parts of speech, grammar, and common grammatical mistakes. Explore sentence parts including words, phrases, and clauses. Understand punctuation and common punctuation mistakes such as capitalization, abbreviations, and numbers. Discuss commonly misused and misspelled words.
- XTBW 10013 – Effective Business Writing
- Develop and refine your writing skills to meet the challenges of a professional workplace environment. Learn how to write clear, concise, and dynamic emails, letters and reports with competence and ease. Review common grammatical mistakes, style principles, document design, and editing basics.
- XCOM 20013 – Editing for Beginners **
- Explore the fundamentals of editing, including why editing matters, and how editing skills can be developed and refined. Delve into different kinds of editing and the skills and standards common to all editors. Through presentations, readings, assignments, and practice, you will gain an appreciation for what it takes to succeed as an editor.
- XCOM 20002 – Editing Fundamentals *
- Discover the fundamentals of professional editing and the skills and standards common to all editors. Learn why editing matters and how editing skills can be developed and refined. Be introduced to different kinds of editing, such as copy editing, style editing and structural editing.
* Recommended course preparation: XCOM 20008-Grammar and Punctuation Essentials
** Please note: students only need take either XCOM 20013 – Editing for Beginners OR XCOM 20002 – Editing Fundamentals
|Subject Code||Course Reference Number||Start Date||End Date||Course Hours||Course Fees|
|XCOM 20008||Not offered this semester|
|XTBW 10013||Not offered this semester|
|XCOM 20013||Not offered this semester|
|XCOM 20002||Not offered this semester|