About this Certificate
Public relations and communications management professionals require highly developed skills to create, build and maintain relationships and organizational reputations for corporations, businesses, government, non-profit and charitable organizations. This new certificate is ideal for those requiring practical public relations skills to enhance their employment or volunteer commitments, as well as those considering a career change.
Replacing the Public Relations Extension Certificate, this Public Relations and Communications Management program extensively explores new and relevant subject matter in the evolving PR industry, with an emphasis on harnessing the power of digital communication. Learning from experienced professionals provides students with the relevant information and skills to successfully design, implement and evaluate public relations projects in any organization.
This program is offered in collaboration with Mount Royal University.
- XBPR 10100 – Fundamentals of Public Relations and Communications Management
- This course provides the fundamentals of public relations and communication management as practiced by working professionals. The student will develop an understanding of how public relations builds relationships, how it is professionally planned, and how it is practiced in an ethical manner.
- XBPR 10101 – Applied Writing and Editing for Public Relations
- As the writing course in the certificate program, this course will allow students to demonstrate and develop and apply grammar and writing skills in crafting common materials utilized by PR professional including, but not limited to, a news release, public service announcement (PSA), newsletter brochure, speeches, web communication and more.
- XBPR 10102 – Business Basics for the PR Practitioner
- Successful public relations and communication management depend upon an understanding of business and the organization for whom the work is conducted. This course focuses on ways to assess and understand organizations and employees and how public relations and communication management can contribute to business success.
- XBPR 10103 – Social Media Strategies and Crisis Communication
- Students will delve into social media strategies and determine how to utilize them as professionals. Social media used for business and organizations by public relations and communication management professionals is significantly different than personal use. Social media can also inflame online and offline issues into crisis situations. This course reviews social media strategies for public relations and communication management as well as providing direction and guidance on preparing for and navigating through crisis communications situations.
- XBPR 10104 – Communication Research, Evaluation and Analytics
- In the third course, public relations and communications management professionals are called upon to demonstrate how much their work contributes to achieving business and organizational goals. This course identifies and explains methods, tools, and techniques used to evaluate and measure the impact of public relations programs. Topics discussed include the application of analytics and the use of big data and artificial intelligence for public relations, as well as critical thinking for measurement and evaluation.
Program Hours: 105
|Subject Code||Course Reference Number||Course Format*||Start Date||End Date||Course Hours||Course Fees|
|XBPR 10100-003||30640||Live, Online,|
|22 Jan 2021||30 Jan 2021||21 hrs||$459.00|
|XBPR 10101-003||30641||Live, Online,|
|19 Feb 2021||27 Feb 2021||21 hrs||$459.00|
|XBPR 10102-003||30642||Live, Online,|
|19 Mar 2021||27 Mar 2021||21 hrs||$459.00|
|XBPR 10103-003||30643||Live, Online,|
|3 Apr 2021||1 May 2021||21 hrs||$459.00|
|XBPR 10104-003||30644||Live, Online,|
|5 Mar 2021||13 Mar 2021||21 hrs||$459.00|
*Live, Online Class Requirements:
You will use Google Suite (Google Classroom, Google Meets) to participate in this live, online class. You will need to access the class through a laptop or desktop computer that has a functional webcam and microphone. A reliable Internet connection is required. Google Chrome browser is recommended for best results.
Step 1: Select the Course Reference Number above.
Step 2: You will be directed to a page to register as a student with CUE’s Office of Extension & Culture.
Step 3: Upon submission, you will then register with Mount Royal University and proceed to booking your courses.