About the Professional Editing Certificate
This Professional Editing program is ideal for good communicators who wish to acquire an understanding of the standards, skills and tools of professional editors. Through presentations, readings, editing practice and discussion, you will gain a foundation for a fascinating career in the world of editing.
This program is offered in collaboration with Mount Royal University.
- XCOM 20002 – Editing Fundamentals
- Discover the fundamentals of professional editing and the skills and standards common to all editors. Learn why editing matters and how editing skills can be developed and refined. Be introduced to different kinds of editing (copy editing, style editing and structural editing).
- XCOM 20003 – Copy Editing and Proofreading
- In this course, you will explore copyediting and proofreading—onscreen and on paper, learn how to use and create house style guides and style sheets and recognize the importance of copyright, citations and references. Using examples from a variety of non-fiction material, you will have the opportunity to develop your copyediting and proofreading skills.
- XCOM 20008 – Grammar and Punctuation Essentials
- Brush up on basic writing skills. Review parts of speech, grammar and common grammatical mistakes. Explore sentence parts including words, phrases and clauses. Understand punctuation and common punctuation mistakes such as capitalization, abbreviations and numbers. Discuss commonly misused and misspelled words.
- XCOM 20011 – Structural Editing
- In this course, you will learn how to consider an entire document from the reader’s perspective and make decisions about organization (information architecture) and visual design (visual and physical features). Using practical examples, from print and online documents, you will tackle various comprehensive editing problems and find solutions.
- XCOM 20012 – Stylistic Editing
- In this course, you will learn how to consider an entire document from the reader’s perspective and make decisions about style (choices about words, their forms and their arrangement in sentences). Using practical examples, from print and online documents, you will tackle various stylistic editing problems and find solutions.
- XCOM 20009 – Editing Portfolio
- Once you have completed all the other courses in this certificate, create a portfolio of work samples that demonstrate your ability to carry out copyediting, proofreading and comprehensive editing with proficiency and ease. Bring to class a range of documents that you want to include in your portfolio.
Program Hours: 100
|Subject Code||Course Reference Number||Start Date||End Date||Course Hours||Course Fees|
|XCOM 20008-002||50185||31 May 2021||12 Jul 2021||20 hrs||$359.00|
|XCOM 20002-002||70120||5 Jul 2021||9 Aug 2021||15 hrs||$429.00|
|XCOM 20003-002||Not offered this term|
|XCOM 20009-002||50187||10 May 2021||14 Jun 2021||15 hrs||$429.00|
|XCOM 20011-002||Not offered this term|
|XCOM 20012-002||Not offered this term|
Step 1: Select the Course Reference Number above.
Step 2: You will be directed to a page to register as a student with CUE’s Office of Extension & Culture.
Step 3: Upon submission, you will then register with Mount Royal University and proceed to booking your courses.