With our woven approach for connecting multi-departmental research activities to external stakeholders, the BMO-CIAR offers a variety of services to both members of the CUE community, and beyond.
For the CUE Community
Research Commercialization at CUE
The BMO-CIAR reviews commercialization opportunities and assists CUE members in translating discoveries emanating from university labs across campus and beyond.
It is important to note that you engage with BMO-CIAR before disclosure is submitted. This disclosure can include a class presentation, poster presentation, publication in a journal or an email disclosing the invention in the absence of a confidentiality agreement.
BMO-CIAR can identify key issues and advise on the best commercialization path if chooses by the inventor of the technology. At BMO-CIAR we work with you to develop an optimal strategy towards commercialization. Our process from the time of invention disclosure to the commercialization stage is summarized below:
1. Invention Disclosure
The confidential information disclosure form is completed by the principal investigator (in case of academic staff) or the inventor (in case of non-academic staff). This form is confidential and is only used for the purpose of invention assessment and commercialization. These forms are not shared with and must not be disclosed to any external party in the absence of a confidentiality agreement.
Disclose your invention
Please choose the form relevant to you:
- Invention disclosure form for academic staff – coming soon
- Invention disclosure form for non-academic staff – coming soon
2. Invention Assessment
BMO-CIAR assesses the commercialization potential of the invention by conducting a thorough assessment of the prior art, third party commitments (if there are any), market research and an intellectual property landscape. We use several market research and intellectual property databases to conduct the assessment.
3. Protection of the Invention
Our team will work closely with the inventor(s) to seek legal protection of Intellectual Property. This is done in accordance with the commercialization and revenue sharing procedures at CUE.
CUE offers two commercialization choices to our inventors – through CUE or independently.
4. Marketing and Outreach
Once the intellectual property has been protected, the BMO-CIAR along with other relevant units at CUE will develop several avenues to assist the commercialization of the invention. This may include active marketing of the technology, assistance with industry-academia collaboration, and spin-off creation among other services.
5. Agreements and Licensing
Executed agreements between the inventors, CUE, and industry partners are the essential first step to creating a fruitful relationship to further the development of the research and associated inventions. BMO-CIAR is the authorized office for drafting, negotiation, and execution of industry associated agreements such as the material transfer agreement, confidentiality agreement, option agreement, and licensing agreements. Please see the Agreement Request and Review section below for additional details.
6. Follow-up and Compliance
We remain in regular touch with CUE faculty and external industry members to ensure milestones are met and resources are available to foster the collaboration or partnership.
Agreement Request and Review
BMO-CIAR assists CUE members in drafting, negotiating and executing applied research agreements. Based on the needs of the collaboration for applied research, BMO-CIAR will identify relevant agreement templates, work on developing a term sheet to build mutually agreeable terms of the agreement. This term sheet will then be converted to legally binding agreement.
The most common terms of an Agreement include:
- The Effective Date;
- The Term or “duration” of the Agreement;
- The Scope;
- The Confidentiality terms;
- The Parties;
- Any Warranties or Representations;
- The Consideration (ie. “What are you giving in return for the right to use the innovation”);
- Grant-back Rights (ie. Rights to use invention for educational and basic research purposes);
- Lack of Compliance – rights and damages;
- IP rights.
Forms and Templates – coming soon
The following forms will be available soon:
- Invention disclosure forms
- Confidentiality agreement
- Memorandum of Understanding
- Service agreement
Educational Initiatives: Innovation and Applied Research
The BMO-CIAR is the hub for innovation and applied research activities at CUE. It offers a paid 12-week internship in the areas of technology transfer and entrepreneurial education that follows the academic semester. This is an excellent opportunity for students to explore a career that requires a blend of scientific expertise and business insights. The internship has two phases:
- Instruction phase: This phase provides an overview of topics such as:
- Intellectual property protection: patents, copyrights, trademarks, CUE’s IP policy and procedures
- Invention disclosure assessment including: intellectual property protection, market potential, development status, prior art searching
- Marketing: drafting confidential/non-confidential executive summaries/briefing notes, term sheets and negotiations, startup commons overview, Lean Stack model orientation
- Assignment Phase: Each intern will be assigned a specific task e.g. prior art search, technology marketing, Innovation Launchpad related activities etc. Each intern will work with the Director of BMO-CIAR or relevant applied research centre to apply skills learned in the instructional phase in commercializing early-stage technologies and supporting early-stage entrepreneurs.
- CUE students with full-time enrollment status; 3rd or 4th year or Masters level only
- Enrolled in science/management dual degree program preferred
- Can commit 10-15 hours per week
- Be in good academic standing and be able to get approval from their Dean
Apply for internship
Submit the following information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Term you wish to intern
- Cover letter
This internship program is highly competitive and no one is guaranteed admittance. Nor is there any implied or guaranteed offer of employment upon completion of the internship. The term of the internship may be renewed for additional semesters upon the discretion of the Director, Industry and Innovation.
For the Community
Connect with CUE Experts
CUE prides itself in excellent teaching, student services and research. Our faculty and staff lead state of the art research projects. SOme information about our research hubs and clusters is provided here.
The BMO-CIAR along with CUE’s Centre for Applied Artificial Intelligence and McNeil Centre for Applied Renewable Energy support our industry and community partners by connecting them with excellent academics and expert staff among other unique skills and resources on our campus.
Connect with our vibrant community of innovators to assist you in answering your questions and, in the process, together we will grow your company and build our leaders of tomorrow by filling out this form.