About Innovation Launchpad @ CUE
The BMO-CIAR launched the Innovation Launchpad @ CUE in 2019. It’s purpose was to be an objective-based extracurricular work-integrated learning and mentoring program that assisted entrepreneurial CUE community members (i.e., students, faculty, and staff) in advancing their innovative ideas.
The program trained participants from diverse backgrounds to evaluate their ideas for commercialization while focusing on development of soft skills such as risk-taking ability, problem solving skills, public speaking and effective communication skills. The program was launched using support from Alberta Innovates Institutional Support for Entrepreneurial Education program as well as collaborations with local innovation supporting organizations such as Business Link AB, Startup Edmonton, TecEdmonton, Alberta Women Entrepreneurs, and in-kind support from CUE.
“Being an artist and a free spirit, I never imagined that entrepreneurship would be the thing to light my world on fire,” says Micah Crowfoot. “I am so grateful for this recognition and would not be here without the support I have received from Innovation Launchpad. I cannot wait to see where else this takes me!”
– Micah Crowfoot
Our 2019-2020 Participants
In 2019-2020, thirteen CUE students participated in the Innovation Launchpad @CUE program to advance their ideas and received support and training on advancing their ideas. These students are now working on developing prototypes for their ideas and are connected to a network of industry experts.
They also represented CUE in provincial competitions (Landing page competition, 150 startups lean startup challenge and Innovation Rodeo) and mentoring programs (Student Founder program, Startup Edmonton).
A virtual showcase was held on June 15, 2020 to acknowledge the efforts of Innovation Launchpad participants.
The Successes of Innovation Launchpad Participants
Overall, this program has led to participants receiving $23,500 for their companies and ideas, including:
- The Most Promising Student Entrepreneur at Innovation Rodeo was awarded to Micah Crowfoot, founder of Caw and Crow Curios
- At the landing page competition (run by 150 startups.com), Innovation Launchpad @ CUE students won a total of $4,000 in prizes in the competition! They were:
- Pawan Sobhri (1st yr MISSM), founder of Galific arts – $1,000 in highest visitor count and $1,000 in biggest mailing list;,
- Divya Garg (1st yr MISSM), founder of Study Material Online – $1,000 in highest conversion rate and $500 in mailing list; and
- Micah Crowfoot (2nd yr BA Psychology), founder of CawandCrow Curios – $500 in conversion rate.
- Jason Neitsch, a fourth-year BMgt student at CUE was selected for the Student Founder Program. As part of this program, Jason was provided a stipend of $10,000 over four months in addition to several meaningful connections and valuable mentorship. Jason and his company, Jn-Cards, was also featured in the innovation edition of Avenue Magazine, in an article entitled “Concordia Student Capitalizes on the Global Popularity of Pokémon with App”.
Congratulations to our 2019-2020 Participants
- Caw and Crow Curios; Micah Crowfoot (BA 2nd yr): An online cabinet for up-cycled personalized items
- Earth La Garden; Doreen Kumar (BSc 3rd yr): A sustainable waste management company
- Apex Facilitator; Mostafa Mohammad – BA (2nd yr): A rehabilitation device for managing upper body injuries
- Galific Art; Pawan Sobhri (MISSM 1st yr): An e-commerce platform for buying and selling artistic creations
- Hydro Hope Farms; Korah Anderson and Alex – BSc (Env. Science 3rd yr): A vertical farming business to grow healthy produce at economical prices
- JnCards; Jason Neitsch (BMgt 4th yr): An online pokemon code card brokerage
- Livezzy; Divya Garg (MISSM 1st yr): A platform to connect service providers with the local community.
- WeedSafer; Kimberly Burke – Graduate Diploma Public Health: An app that encourages responsible cannabis consumption
- Idea Nexus; Amanda Borisow – BMgt (graduated in April 2020): An app to connect like-minded early stage entrepreneurs
- Social CUE; Isse Mohamud – Graduate Diploma Public Health (graduated in April 2020): A creative influencer based marketing company that knows the in and outs of engaging millennials and generation Z.
- Study material Online; Divya Garg (MISSM 1st yr): A resource to access study materials in the upcoming areas of science and technology.