The Department of Student Life and Learning invites applications for the position of an English as a Second Language Instructor.
This part-time contract position (20 hours/week) will provide English language instruction and is responsible for providing leadership and support services to ensure student success.
This position is expected to last from September 7, 2016 to December 9, 2016, with the possibility of extension.
- Providing English language grammar, composition, reading, speaking, and listening instruction to international students.
- Manage the classroom to ensure a safe and optimum learning environment.
- Plan and deliver learning activities that meet the learning needs of the students.
- Provide appropriate evaluation, assessment, and feedback to students.
- Maintain records of achievement, attendance, and other student related information and report such information as required.
- Identify resources and equipment appropriate to support curriculum/course demands and make necessary adjustments according to learner needs.
- Practice good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Work cooperatively in an interdependent team environment.
- Abiding by the policies and procedures of Concordia University of Edmonton in the review and development of individual language assignments as well as overall language skills.
- Requires a minimum of a baccalaureate degree in education or a related field.
- Two years of ESL teaching or tutoring experience is required.
- Experience in higher education, an asset.
- TESL Certificate from a TESL-Canada approved training program (or equivalent) is preferred.
- Familiarity with other English language proficiency tests (i.e. IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, FCE, CLB), an asset.
- Understanding of learning skills and strategies needed to support student academic development and success, and computer application competency.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a member of a team.
- Be a detail-oriented professional with strong organization and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Must be able to pass an Edmonton Police Service (EPS) security clearance.
Closing Date: August 24, 2016, job posting may close before deadline date if suitable a candidate is found.
Please quote “ESL Instructor” in the subject line when applying. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
All applications, including three work-related references, and reasons for applying should be forwarded in confidence to:
Concordia University of Edmonton
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
Tel: (780) 479-9214
We thank all applicants for their interest in Concordia Student Life and Learning. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.