English Language Requirement
English is the principal language of instruction at Concordia. To ensure that students have the best opportunity to achieve academic success, all applicants to any program or course of study whose first language is not English are required to demonstrate fulfillment of one of the following English language requirements, regardless of citizenship or country of origin:
- Applicants studying in Canada on a study permit (student visa) must normally present a satisfactory score on one of the following approved English language proficiency examinations (taken within the last two years) as described below:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT (internet-based test) score of 80 or PBT (paper-based test) score of 550.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The minimum satisfactory score is 6.0 with no band below 5.5.
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery). The minimum satisfactory score is 80.
- CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment). A minimum overall score of 60 or higher, with scores of at least 50 on each of Listening, Reading, and Speaking and 60 or higher in Writing.
- Applicants who have studied for three (3) full years in Canada must present 50% in English 30, English Language Arts 30-1, or approved equivalent. The three years must include Alberta Grade 12 or equivalent and may be a combination of secondary and post-secondary education.
- Applicants who have studied for less than three (3) full years in Canada must present 50% in English 30, English Language Arts 30-1, or equivalent and a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 80 (or PBT score of 550). Applicants who achieve 60% or greater in English 30, English Language Arts 30-1, or approved equivalent may be exempt from providing an English language proficiency exam score.
- Applicants who demonstrate that they have completed the equivalent of an Alberta Grade 12 education and that English was the principal language of their education at the secondary and/or post-secondary level may be exempt from providing an English language proficiency exam score.
- Applicants who have an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized college or university where English was the primary language of instruction and the principal language of the country meet the English language requirement.
Applicants to the Bachelor of Education after Degree program require levels of English Language Proficiency consistent
with Alberta Education’s requirements for certification. Please refer to the current academic Calendar for details.