Student Help, Office of Extension and Culture
Category: CUE Students Only, Hourly
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good.
Concordia University of Edmonton is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of approximately 2,500, we are known for our small class sizes and our excellence in teaching. Our small classes and diverse student population provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian university system. CUE is also an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management. Our vision is to become Canada’s pre-eminent small university.
Reporting to the Director of Extension and Culture & Centre for Chinese Studies, the Student help of Extension and Culture is responsible for providing overall liaison and administrative support to the Office of Extension and Culture. The Student Help will be required to perform an array of liaison, coordination, marketing, and administrative duties. The Student Help will have a strong client focus, and be able to work successfully with a wide variety of stakeholders within the Concordia University of Edmonton community and beyond.
- Student Help’s daily, termly, and yearly data on Extension and Culture courses, including:
- Review, Input, and manage the technical information for each extension course’s syllabus (proposed and approved)
- Organize and update each extension course’s syllabi to Alfresco
- File, send out and monitor each extension course instructor’s contract
- Keep track on staff and faculty’s extension course fee benefit application and work with Student accounts and HR for taxable fee data
- Update all extension offering schedules—time, payment, instructor contract, classroom booking, online course updates
- First contact for new extension course development
- First contact for extension program application and course registration questions and answers
- Update OEC website, manage news postings and social media for Extension program.
- CCGCC grant application guidance
- Provide administrative support to the Office of Extension and Culture, including:
- Coordinating activities, managing calendars, coordinating/scheduling meetings, and other events, including making room reservations and arranging for catering and supplies for the Office of Extension and Culture
- Preparing meeting agendas and minutes, maintaining accurate records, and ensuring proper procedures for effective committee work.
- Preparing and assisting with assigned documents, reports, presentations and other correspondence materials for the OEC
- coordinating culture activities and projects
- exploring sponsorships for extension and culture
- marketing for extension and culture activities such as orchestra, choir, drama, etc.
- Liaise cultural activities and programs
- Other duties assigned as required.
- Currently attending Concordia University of Edmonton
- Working knowledge of university policies and procedures, especially in the areas that relate to extension and culture programs or continuing education programs.
- Ability to communicate clearly in both written and verbal form with strong attention to detail, grammar, and spelling. Having the ability to communicate proficiently in a second language, is an asset.
- Study abroad or work abroad experience is an asset.
- Marketing and recruiting experience will be an asset.
- Well-developed project management skills with strong attention to detail and demonstrated time management skills to meet corresponding deadlines.
- Demonstrated creativity, resourcefulness and excellent ability in planning and communicating.
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
- Flexible, and able to work outside of normal business hours for extension events.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and handle difficult situations with diplomacy and sensitivity.
- Working knowledge using social media platforms and analytics (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Windows Moviemaker, etc.) for promotional and marketing purposes.
- Excellent initiative, resourcefulness, and ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- High level of computer proficiency in a Windows environment using MS Office applications, Google Products (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Sites), and designing software such as Visio and Adobe Pro.
- Excellent organizational skills and experience in working with competing deadlines and with a large degree of independence;
- Demonstrated ability to be a collaborative team player.
- Valid Class 5 license and experience driving in cities and on the highway.
Closing Date: Position closes February 7, 2020, or until the position is filled.
Hours of Work: 18 hours per week until August 28, 2020.
To apply, please include a cover letter and resume in confidence to:
Director of Extension and Culture, Dr. Xinxin Fang at Xinxin.email@example.com
Concordia University of Edmonton is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.